Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by a....@bluewin.ch on 2023/01/17 17:34:15 UTC

Password in Tomcat 9.x

Hello together

I would like to understand, when implementing passwords into web.xml, then I
would like NOT to implement a password, I want to include the path to a
certificate (p12.pwd). I want to basically avoid, changing all the time the
password, when I renew my webserver certificate in the configuration.

Which version of Tomcat 9.x is able to do this? Will it be for seen, that
9.x can do this?

If no 9.x can do, which other Tomcat can do this?

Thank you

Alexander Grubner

AW: Password in Tomcat 9.x

Posted by a....@bluewin.ch.
Hi Mark

I will provide a config example tomorrow. Let you know the details.

I have them on the other machine.

In general it is like that - we have a webserver certificate (p12), which we use to have the https protocol. The certificate comes together with a p12.pwd file and this password of the certificate is stored in the web.xml. I want now to remove this password by configuring just the path to this file.

In case someone renew the certificate, the restart of tomcat can be done anytime as always the correct password is used.

Regards
Alexander

> I would like to understand, when implementing passwords into web.xml,
> then I would like NOT to implement a password, I want to include the
> path to a certificate (p12.pwd). I want to basically avoid, changing
> all the time the password, when I renew my webserver certificate in the configuration.
>
> Which version of Tomcat 9.x is able to do this? Will it be for seen,
> that 9.x can do this?
>
> If no 9.x can do, which other Tomcat can do this?

What password are you trying to set in web.xml? Please provide a configuration snippet.

Mark

Re: Password in Tomcat 9.x

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

AW: Password in Tomcat 9.x

Posted by "Thomas Hoffmann (Speed4Trade GmbH)" <Th...@speed4trade.com.INVALID>.
Hello Alex,

I am not a tomcat developer but as there are several alternatives, I suppose that this is not a big benefit.
Most users just remove the password.. at least it's my experience.
I don't see benefits by putting a password on the key as long as the folder permissions are set properly.

Greetings, Thomas

Re: AW: Password in Tomcat 9.x

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Alex,

On 1/19/23 13:31, a.grubner@bluewin.ch wrote:
> Do you know if in future apache tomcat releases, this will be
> possible to put a path? It would be the easiest for everyone, my
> opinion...
I believe there are currently two ways to do with with existing Tomcat
releases:

1. service binding property source
2. XML entities

We don't need another mechanism for this.

-chris

AW: Password in Tomcat 9.x

Posted by a....@bluewin.ch.

Re: AW: AW: AW: Password in Tomcat 9.x

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Alex,

On 1/21/23 08:24, a.grubner@bluewin.ch wrote:
> Then how do you manage the webserver certitficate in Tomcat? Where do you store the password? I would like to do it of course always without, but the architecture is like that I have.
>
> Webserver certificate.p12
> Webserver certificate.p12.pwd		Password_today		Password tomorrow
>
> Tomcat/conf/server.xml
>
> I would like to reference the pwd file in server.xml. You cannot enter the server and get to the directory until you do the sudo to its technical user.
>
> How can you do this? When you have an automated certificate approach running, renewing certificates which are in the range to renew.
> How to avoid setting ; in a password? This also causes or can cause issues.
>
> Thank you for your advice. More security is better, but it must be in the position to be handled easy. Every manual change I want to avoid.

FWIW any Tomcat servers I run which use automatically-provisioned
certificates (e.g. via ACME) write those certificates to unencrypted key
stores. No passwords whatsoever. Such passwords only give the illusion
of security IMHO.

-chris

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@iupui.edu>.
On Sat, Jan 21, 2023 at 02:24:46PM +0100, a.grubner@bluewin.ch wrote:
> Hello Mark
>
> Then how do you manage the webserver certitficate in Tomcat? Where do you store the password? I would like to do it of course always without, but the architecture is like that I have.
>
> Webserver certificate.p12
> Webserver certificate.p12.pwd		Password_today		Password tomorrow
>
> Tomcat/conf/server.xml
>
> I would like to reference the pwd file in server.xml. You cannot enter the server and get to the directory until you do the sudo to its technical user.
>
> How can you do this? When you have an automated certificate approach running, renewing certificates which are in the range to renew.
> How to avoid setting ; in a password? This also causes or can cause issues.
>
> Thank you for your advice. More security is better, but it must be in the position to be handled easy. Every manual change I want to avoid.

I don't store the password.  (Perhaps I should ask:  do you mean the
passphrase for the private key, or the passphrase for the PKCS12
container?)

Here I have to create a Certificate Signing Request and send it to the
registrar for signature.  Since I am creating the private key at the
same time, I can have it created without encryption.  Perhaps the
tools that you use have such an option?  I generate the request and
key with:

  openssl req \
          -new \
          -newkey rsa:4096 \
          -nodes \
          -keyout SOMETHING.key \
          -out SOMETHING.req

If I were packing up the certificate(s) and key in a PKCS12, I would
use "openssl pkcs12 -export -nodes ..." (to leave the private key
unencrypted).  But, now that I've been researching it, there may not
*be* a way to specify "no encryption" of the PKCS12 structure itself,
only ways to express a zero-length password.

Of course I pay strict attention to file and directory permissions.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library
755 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
317-274-0749
www.ulib.iupui.edu

Posted by "Mark H. Wood" <mw...@iupui.edu>.
On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 07:33:04PM +0100, a.grubner@bluewin.ch wrote:
> I asked Thomas as well, if he knows if this could be solved with placing the path to the file - in my opinion, this is a easy, safe possiblitiy to allocate any certs. That would be very helpful to have such tomcat.

I think there has been something missing in this discussion.  Several
people have advised removing the password from the credentials file.
This is not just giving up and trading security for practicality.
Storing a cleartext password on the same system with the
password-protected object is equivalent to having no password, because
anyone who can get the protected object can get the password from the
same place.

The only way that encrypting the container can increase security is to
provide the password from outside the system whenever it is needed --
e.g. have an operator type it in.  The purpose of encrypting the
container seems to be to protect it *in transit from one system to
another*, after which a human will decrypt it for use.

So:  it is unlikely that anyone will do more work on the code for no
more benefit.

When I think about it, this is just another layer of the reason that
these credentials containers *can* be encrypted:  such a file contains
all of the materials which are needed to evade security, so there must
be an external source of control to protect the contents:  something
which is not part of the materials and can be kept separate from them,
carried by different means.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library
755 W. Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
317-274-0749
www.ulib.iupui.edu

AW: AW: AW: Password in Tomcat 9.x

Posted by a....@bluewin.ch.
Thank you Chris, I will read that.

Best
Alex

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Alex,

On 1/19/23 13:33, a.grubner@bluewin.ch wrote:
> I asked Thomas as well, if he knows if this could be solved with
> placing the path to the file - in my opinion, this is a easy, safe
> possibility to allocate any certs. That would be very helpful to have
> such tomcat.
You could use an XML entity for this purpose. Tomcat specifically
enables XML entity expansion to allow for such things.

Also, one of the solutions I presented allows you to use files on the
disk. Please read about the service binding property source. I think
it's *precisely what you are requesting*.

-chris

>>> Thomas
>>> ________________________________

AW: AW: Password in Tomcat 9.x

Posted by a....@bluewin.ch.
Hoi Christoph

Also to you, thank you for your feedback.

Re: AW: Password in Tomcat 9.x

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Thomas and Alex,

AW: Password in Tomcat 9.x