Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Kevin McKenzie <km...@silverstream.com> on 2000/03/27 22:38:00 UTC

Re: Disabling HotSpot to get Xalan and Xerces to remain stable under load

Thanks Pierpaolo for your suggestion to turn off the HotSpot compiler.  That
did indeed make the intermittent error go away...or at least lessened the
likelihood of the problem so that we do not see the error during our load
testing.

The trick of turning off HotSpot, while easy enough to implement, certainly
begs the question "Why?".  What is it about HotSpot that manifests these
intermittent errors?  What is it about Xalan and Xerces that is sensitive to
HotSpot?  Or is the problem with HotSpot itself?  I am curious.

I work at SilverStream Software, and the Xalan and Xerces software provides
important functionality for us.    If you think there is a problem in
HotSpot, I would be interested in getting details, as we have done a lot of
work getting our application server running on HotSpot and may be able to
help.

If there are issues, we want to know all there is to know about them, and
not settle for a quick fix without a deeper understanding.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin