Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Pa...@aol.com on 2012/08/05 19:31:05 UTC

Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4

This is to follow Oliver's suggestion to mail this reply to
_ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org_ (mailto:ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org) , and
to reply to his email...

The autostarting of a "deactivated" Apache OO v3.4 problem
is probably unrelated to the v3.4.1 upgrade.

My program starts no matter what I try.  It has never been
activated either from the tray icon or the usual Tools/Options
menu.  I have gone into msconfig and can find nothing there
that would indicate a programmed startup.  I've even used the
AOL Computer Checkup function, with which I can supposedly
keep any program from starting, but that doesn't keep the v3.4
Apache upgrade from autostarting.

The source from which I installed the v3.4 was I would think the
usual source.  From the old OO, I was informed there was an
upgrade available and clicked on that.  IIRC, I was sent to an
Apache OO web page where I downloaded and installed the
new v3.4.  I have had this autostart problem ever since.

I was on vacation for a week, which is why this late reply.  I still
need a fix for this.  It's tedious to have to close Apache Open
Office each and every time I login, whether or not I restart the
computer.  Please help!

Yours truly,
Paine

In a message dated 6/27/2012 4:10:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
orwittmann@googlemail.com writes:

Hi  Paine,

On 22.06.2012 22:37, Painius@aol.com wrote:
> Hi  Oliver,
> Been there done that.  I tried the suggestions in that  forum
> thread before I emailed you for help.  When I went to  the
> tools/options/openoffice.org/memory box, the only checkbox
>  there is labeled:  Load OpenOffice.org during system startup.
> It  was not checked when I found it before I emailed you.  You
>  probably know that there is the same option when the systray
> icon is  right-clicked.  It, too, has never been checked.
> As for the  sysconfig suggestion, I had tried that by using a
> simpler  method.  You get the same box by clicking on the
> Start Menu and  typing in "msconfig.exe".  When I did that
> (also before I emailed  you) I did not find a box anywhere for
> OpenOffice.org, so that doesn't  help either.  It appears as
> though the v 3.4 is piggybacking on a  different program, and
> it's impossible to figure which one I'd have to  uncheck to get
> v 3.4 to stop opening every time I login.
> I  hope the bug fix in July does fix this, because that seems
> to be the  only option I have.
> Sincerely,
> Paine

Thanks for the  information and sorry for the late reply.

>From your original message I  did not know that you had already tried all
the
available  workarounds.

The problem which will be fixed in AOO 3.4.1 does not look  like the one
which
you are describing. What we are fixing in AOO 3.4.1 is  that an active
quickstarter does not open a window on every login.
What  you are describing seems to be something like that even with an
deactivated
quickstarter AOO 3.4 is starting on every login.
As I am not an expert  in this area I am asking you to come back to our
public
mailing list  ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org. Thus, other community members
can
pick up  the problem.

By the way, you are suspecting that your AOO 3.4 is  piggybacking on a
different
program. Do you remember from which source you  get your AOO 3.4
installation
package?

Best regards,  Oliver.

> In a message dated 6/22/2012 5:23:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight  Time,
> orwittmann@googlemail.com writes:
>
>   Hi,
>
>     On 22.06.2012 08:51,  Painius@aol.com wrote:
>      > Hello,
>   >
>      > I would like to know how  to disable the autostart
>      > function.  When  I login to my computer, v 3.4 starts
>      >  automatically.  V 3.3 did not do that, and I would
>     > like v 3.4 not to start everytime I login.  Please  help!
>      >

>      Please have a look into the forum. Here is a link to a thread
discussing  this
>     problem [1].
>
>   In AOO 3.4.1 the quickstarter will be fixed. Then it will be  working as
>     expected, again.
>
>   [1]
>      http:
//user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=54455&hilit=apache+startup