Posted to jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org by Mitch Gorman <go...@sportsline.com> on 2005/06/21 18:49:55 UTC

not ready for prime time?

    listed here are the various issues i've encountered, while
attempting to incorporate JCS (v1.2.6.5) into my application:

    - the hidden requirement for the commons-lang and commons-logging
packages.  if i'm not mistaken, that's not mentioned anywhere on the JCS
site.

     - using getClass().getResourceAsStream() is really not such a great
idea, if you're trying to incorporate JCS into anything other than a
package called org.apache.jcs.engine.control, 'cuz that's the only place
it'll actually *read* a config file from.  i had to explicitly create
that package path inside my project, and place my cache.ccf file there.
grrr.

     - the very first line in the configure(Properties props) method is
a call to ThreadPoolManager.setProps(props).  this method fails blind,
spitting out the lovely error message:  java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/Channel.  'scuse me, but... wuzzat?!

    i can't see how anyone trying to incorporate JCS into a
non-apache-homed project would not encounter these same issues... which
leads me to conclude that JCS isn't really quite production-ready, just
yet.  i think it'd be a Very Good Idea to make sure that the JCS pages
on the Jakarta site acknowledge that fact openly...  i only spun my
wheels for 3 days on these issues, so it's not a terrible loss... but
someone else's boss (and deadlines) might not be as forgiving as mine!

Re: not ready for prime time?

Posted by Mitch Gorman <go...@sportsline.com>.

Mitch Gorman wrote:

>    - the hidden requirement for the commons-lang and commons-logging
>packages.  if i'm not mistaken, that's not mentioned anywhere on the JCS
>site.

    whoops, my bad:  i just now found the page listing the dependencies.

    the other two issues stand, though...

we need an faq

Posted by Aaron Smuts <as...@yahoo.com>.
Sorry you had trouble figuring out what libraries were
required.

I'll add an faq listing the required dependencies.
The dependency page lists all the possible
dependencies needed if you were going to use every
auxiliary, but they are listed.

About you second problem, it's an extension of the
first.  You simply didn't have the util concurrent jar
in you classpath.  There is no issue.

Your third problem is a non-issue as well.  You are
wrong about the config file loading.  If you put the
cache.ccf at the root of the classpath it will be
found.  If you have a web app, put it in
WEB-INF/classes.  I'll put this in the faq also.

You can also specify a particualr location and
configure JCS with a properties object. . . .

There is nothing particularly incestuous about the JCS
dependency list:  commons-lang, common-logging, and
util concurrent are extremely common dependencies.

If you haven't already, take a look at the util
concurrent library.  It is one of the best Java
pacakges around:

http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/intro.html

Cheers,

Aaron