Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Sahil <ba...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2005/03/02 16:11:16 UTC

Hosting Lenya with a service provider

Hi,

I have recently rented a virtual hosting space from a provider that
gives support for Tomcat/JSP.

Now the issue for me is how to get Lenya working on it. In my virtual
space I have the following directory structure:

/--¦
    public_html--¦
                 WEB-INF/--¦
                           lib/
                           classes/

Information from the service provider is:
/*Begin*/
To use JSP, simply rename your file extensions to .jsp, and place the
pages in your /public_html/ directory. The web server automatically
passes it on to Tomcat for processing.
The JSP Web-INF directory is located at: /public_html/WEB-INF/
Place your class files in this directory: /public_html/WEB-INF/classes/
To call them use: http://mysite.com/servlet/NameOfServlet
To execute .jars place in: /WEB-INF/lib/
Place your JSP pages in: /public_html/
/*End*/

I have successfully setup Lenya on my local WIN XP box using Tomcat and
accessed it via http://localhost:8080/lenya/default/live/index.html.
What I thought should work is if I copy the contents of
jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/webapps/lenya/lenya to public_html on the server
then it should all work but it is not.

This is the first time I am hosting a JSP site. Please advice me what
needs to be done.

Regards,

Sahil

Re: Hosting Lenya with a service provider

Posted by Sahil <ba...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> Sahil wrote:
>>
>>> I have successfully setup Lenya on my local WIN XP box using Tomcat
>>> and accessed it via
>>> http://localhost:8080/lenya/default/live/index.html. What I thought
>>> should work is if I copy the contents of
>>> jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/webapps/lenya/lenya to public_html on the
>>> server then it should all work but it is not.
>>

>> public_html is the same as webapps/lenya. so you copy everything under
>> webapps/lenya (not lenya/lenya) to public_html, including the
>> subdirectory WEB-INF
>

> also, with this setup, lenya runs in the root context which means you
> call it http://yourserver.com/default/live/index.html

Thanks Gregor, I have tried that but still didn't work. I have requested
restart of Tomcat instance. Will let you know what happens.

Re: Hosting Lenya with a service provider

Posted by Sahil <ba...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Jann Forrer wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Sahil wrote:
>

>>Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

>>>also, with this setup, lenya runs in the root context which means you
>>>call it http://yourserver.com/default/live/index.html
>>>

>>After restarting Tomcat it still is not working. When I go to
>>www.mysite.com I get the directory listing and calling
>>www.mysite.com/default/live/index.html returns a 404 error. Is there
>>something I need to tell my service provider? I ran a JSP example that
>>comes with Tomcat without a problem to test if Tomcat is working properly.
>>

> It might depend on the setup of your provider.  If the main entry point is
> apache your service provider has to configure which  requests should be
> forwarded to tomcat as e.g. (using mod_jk):
>
> JkMount /..../servlets/*  meaning all requests including servlet/ are
> forwarded or
> JkMount /.../*.jsp
>
> How did yo request your jsp example?
> Probably not all necessary requests are forwarded to tomcat.
>
> Jann

The example that I test was dates. I put the dates folder that comes in
jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/webapps/jsp-examples in the public_html folder and
also copied the WEB-INF folder. Then made a call to
www.mysite.com/dates/date.jsp which gave the current date and time.

Interestingly now what is happening is if I do call to a non existent
JSP e.g. www.mysite.com/test/test.jsp I get a Cocoon error:

/home/mysite/public_html/lenya/pubs/test/sitemap.xmap (No such file or
directory)
org.apache.cocoon.ResourceNotFoundException: Resource not found.:
org.apache.excalibur.source.SourceNotFoundException:
file:/home/mysite/public_html/lenya/pubs/test/sitemap.xmap doesn't exist.

At least JSP files are being caught by something. But for rest I am
getting 404 error (Not the 404 that Lenya gives).

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Sahil wrote:

> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> > Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> >> public_html is the same as webapps/lenya. so you copy everything under
> >> webapps/lenya (not lenya/lenya) to public_html, including the
> >> subdirectory WEB-INF
> >

> > also, with this setup, lenya runs in the root context which means you
> > call it http://yourserver.com/default/live/index.html
> >
> After restarting Tomcat it still is not working. When I go to
> www.mysite.com I get the directory listing and calling
> www.mysite.com/default/live/index.html returns a 404 error. Is there
> something I need to tell my service provider? I ran a JSP example that
> comes with Tomcat without a problem to test if Tomcat is working properly.

It might depend on the setup of your provider.  If the main entry point is
apache your service provider has to configure which  requests should be
forwarded to tomcat as e.g. (using mod_jk):

JkMount /..../servlets/*  meaning all requests including servlet/ are
forwarded or
JkMount /.../*.jsp

How did yo request your jsp example?
Probably not all necessary requests are forwarded to tomcat.

Jann

Jann Forrer
Informatikdienste
Universität Zürich
Winterthurerstr. 190
CH-8057 Zuerich

oooO   mail:  jann.forrer@id.unizh.ch
(  )   phone: +41 1 63 56772
 \ (   fax:   +41 1 63 54505
  \_)  http://www.id.unizh.ch

Re: Hosting Lenya with a service provider

Posted by Sahil <ba...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> Sahil wrote:
>>
>>> I have successfully setup Lenya on my local WIN XP box using Tomcat
>>> and accessed it via
>>> http://localhost:8080/lenya/default/live/index.html. What I thought
>>> should work is if I copy the contents of
>>> jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28/webapps/lenya/lenya to public_html on the
>>> server then it should all work but it is not.
>>

>> public_html is the same as webapps/lenya. so you copy everything under
>> webapps/lenya (not lenya/lenya) to public_html, including the
>> subdirectory WEB-INF
>

> also, with this setup, lenya runs in the root context which means you
> call it http://yourserver.com/default/live/index.html

After restarting Tomcat it still is not working. When I go to
www.mysite.com I get the directory listing and calling
www.mysite.com/default/live/index.html returns a 404 error. Is there
something I need to tell my service provider? I ran a JSP example that
comes with Tomcat without a problem to test if Tomcat is working properly.

Thanks.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com

Re: Hosting Lenya with a service provider

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.