Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Michael Theroux <mt...@yahoo.com> on 2015/06/16 01:17:53 UTC

Nodetool ring and "Replicas" after 1.2 upgrade

Hello,
We (finally) have just upgraded from Cassandra 1.1 to Cassandra 1.2.19.  Everything appears to be up and running normally, however, we have noticed unusual output from nodetool ring.  There is a new (to us) field "Replicas" in the nodetool output, and this field, seemingly at random, is changing from 2 to 3 and back to 2.
We are using the byte ordered partitioner (we hash our own keys), and have a replication factor of 3.  We are also on AWS and utilize the Ec2snitch on a single Datacenter.
Other calls appear to be normal.  "nodetool getEndpoints" returns the proper endpoints when querying various keys, nodetool ring and status return that all nodes appear healthy.
Anyone have any hints on what maybe happening, or if this is a problem we should be concerned with?
Thanks,-Mike

Re: Nodetool ring and "Replicas" after 1.2 upgrade

Posted by Michael Theroux <mt...@yahoo.com>.
After looking at the cassandra code a little, I believe this is not really an issue.
After the upgrade to 1.2, we still see the issue described in this bug I filed:

The "Replicas" is calculated by adding up the effective ownership of all the nodes, and chopping off the remainder.  So if your effective ownership is 299.99%, it appears the code will will report the number of replicas as 2.  This might become reliably 3 after I complete running repairs after upgrade.
Thanks for you time,-Mike
Posted by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Jason Wee <pe...@gmail.com>.