Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/05 13:46:51 UTC

WS-2.2 support and Geronimo.

Dan Culp posted an item back in January that stated:

    One thing that will probably NOT be in 2.3 is JAX-WS 2.2 support unless some
    sudden demand pops up for it.   Using JAX-WS 2.2 with Java6 is a real pain
    (requires endorsing jars and such) which is a pretty large burden for users.
    Thus, we'll probably delay this till 2.4 or maybe create a separate "jaxws22"
    module that extends the 2.1 module or something.

I'd like to generate some demand here.  We're trying to put together a
Java EE 6 compliant release of Geronimo this year, tentatively targeted
around the end of September.  One requirement for achieving that is a
JAX-WS 2.2 release.  Information I've received from the Axis2 community
was their version would not be available until the end of October, so we
were sort of banking on CXF providing this so we can get a certified
release.  Based on the above, this now looks to be in jeopardy.  I'd
like to urge you to maybe reconsider your stance with respect to
implementing these features.  The Geronimo server can handle the
endorsed jars just fine (we already need to deal with that for the Yoko
ORB)...that particular detail is hidden from the user by the server
infrastructure.

Rick

Re: WS-2.2 support and Geronimo.

Posted by Alessio Soldano <as...@redhat.com>.
Hi Daniel,

Daniel Kulp wrote:
> The other issue is that we don't have the 2.2 standalone TCK yet.   Not sure
> if it's available.

I think you should be able to get that, it's available afaics.

Cheers
Alessio

--
Alessio Soldano
Web Service Lead, JBoss

Re: WS-2.2 support and Geronimo.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Rick,

I have no problem with getting 2.2 implemented, but the end result is that CXF
out of the box needs to run on Java6 without any funky endorsing crap required
by the users.   It also needs to run easily with maven builds and such on Java
6.  That pretty much means, by default, JAX-WS 2.1.

I have chatted with the JBoss folks about roughly the same issue.  One thought
we has was to create a cxf-rt-frontend-jaxws22 module or similar that would
subclass the stuff in the normal jaxws module and add the 2.2 specific stuff
thats needed.    To enable 2.2, you would just need to make sure that extra
jar is picked up first.   I really haven't look enough into the 2.2 spec stuff
to know how feasible that really is.   Mostly just a theory at this point.

The other issue is that we don't have the 2.2 standalone TCK yet.   Not sure
if it's available.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp