Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@flightaware.com> on 2010/04/15 20:37:41 UTC

RPM created for Rivet -- some questions

Hey Gang,

Jeff Lawson aka Cow has made an RPM of Rivet and has rpmforge.net<http://rpmforge.net>, the largest third-party RPM repo for CentOS/Fedora/RHEL (and other RHEL-based) distros, willing to carry it.  The issue is right now we only have the snapshots.  They need tarballs to stay around longer... weeks, at least.

I'm not familiar with the resources that are available to the project or much of the release engineering.  Is there an official place we can lodge tarballs to solve this issue?

Regards,
-karl

http://lists.rpmforge.net/pipermail/packagers/2010-April/001177.html

http://svn.rpmforge.net/viewvc/rpmforge/trunk/rpms/mod_rivet/

Re: RPM created for Rivet -- some questions

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.
Hi guys

> The projects is slowly changing lately. I can only suggest we pick
> one of the latest snapshots, rename it as rivet-0.8.0.tar.gz
> (perhaps we may add a 'b1') and put it on the website.

" Votes on Package Releases

Votes on whether a package is ready to be released follow a format
similar to majority approval -- except that the decision is officially
determined solely by whether at least three +1 votes were
registered. Releases may not be vetoed. Generally the community will
table the vote to release if anyone identifies serious problems, but
in most cases the ultimate decision, once three or more positive votes
have been garnered, lies with the individual serving as release
manager. The specifics of the process may vary from project to
project, but the 'minimum of three +1 votes' rule is universal.
"

Just make sure, before you do something like that to have a vote about
the release. This is stanard (and required) procedure for any erlease
of any Apache project (learned that the hard way, when I didn't follow
this rule with a Websh release couple of years back).

And just to be reproducible, I'd really tag the repo with the release
number and then publish it officially in the dist directory.
(Something like /www/www.apache.org/dist/tcl/rivet ...)

hth
Ronnie
--
Ronnie Brunner | ronnie.brunner@netcetera.ch
phone +41-44-247 79 79 | fax +41-44-247 70 75

Re: RPM created for Rivet -- some questions

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
The projects is slowly changing lately. I can only suggest we pick one of the latest snapshots, rename it as rivet-0.8.0.tar.gz (perhaps we may add a 'b1') and put it on the website.

The websites I made cannot be compared to filghtaware to any extent, but I've been running rivet on apache2.2 for a year now and not even once Rivet was the cause of serious problems.

 -- Massimo

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:37:41 +0000, Karl Lehenbauer wrote

Posted by Jeff Lawson <je...@bovine.net>.
On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@flightaware.com> wrote:
> Hey Gang,
> Jeff Lawson aka Cow has made an RPM of Rivet and has rpmforge.net, the
> largest third-party RPM repo for CentOS/Fedora/RHEL (and other RHEL-based)
> distros, willing to carry it.  The issue is right now we only have the
> snapshots.  They need tarballs to stay around longer... weeks, at least.
> I'm not familiar with the resources that are available to the project or
> much of the release engineering.  Is there an official place we can lodge
> tarballs to solve this issue?
> Regards,
> -karl
> http://lists.rpmforge.net/pipermail/packagers/2010-April/001177.html
> http://svn.rpmforge.net/viewvc/rpmforge/trunk/rpms/mod_rivet/

RPMForge will accept a stable source snapshot uploaded someplace, but
an official release of 0.8.0 would be even better.  Are there plans to
make the next release sometime soon?  It's been about 5 years since
the release of 0.5.0 (24-Mar-2005).

Re: RPM created for Rivet -- some questions

Posted by Jeff Lawson <je...@bovine.net>.
I'm running Rivet, PHP, and mod_cgi under httpd 2.2.14 on a Fedora 11
box without any problems, so this problem doesn't seem to affect
everyone.

The potential issue could be mentioned in a Readme or Known Issues
file included with the release, if we're concerned about users hitting
it.

Apache also has a mod_cgid that uses a helper child to run CGI scripts
out of process, which may also help some users. That could be
suggested as a workaround.

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@tclhome.com>.
On Apr 15, 2010, at 3:19 PM, Jeff Lawson wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM, David Welton <da...@dedasys.com> wrote:
>> It's been so long that I've forgotten how to go about things
>> officially.  I know we have to vote on it...
>>
>> I'd still be a little bit concerned about the 2.X support.  Are you
>> guys using that at flightaware?
>>

> Yep, we're running against httpd 2.2.9

What are the remaining concerns over 2.x?  Just that we've never actually done a release with the support?  What are the build concerns with 2.x? Doesn't it have to be a threaded Tcl build or something?  Does the build system have the proper checks in place to make that happen?

Re: RPM created for Rivet -- some questions

Posted by Jeff Lawson <je...@bovine.net>.

Re: TODOs before releasing [Re: RPM created for Rivet -- some questions]

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
1.1 was also my proposal. Damon suggested 2.0 instead on the argument
that such a version number would make clear that this release is meant
to work also with Apache 2.x.

   -- Massimo

Posted by Jeff Lawson <je...@bovine.net>.

Posted by David Welton <da...@dedasys.com>.
> The current version number is 0.8.0, but sometime in the past someone
> (David?) created a 1_0 branch. I think we should eventually release with a
> number that  won't bring confusion or misunderstandings when we create a new
> branch out of the trunk.

Let's go ahead and call it 1.0 or even 2.0.

--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/

TODOs before releasing [Re: RPM created for Rivet -- some questions]

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
Karl Lehenbauer wrote:
> Yeah we're on 2.2.
>
> On Apr 15, 2010, at 3:15 PM, David Welton wrote:

Ronnie clarified that we have to go through some formal step before
releasing. Why don't we call for a last round of opinions (and maybe
assigning the last duties to trim the last glitches) and then pass to
vote to release?

The current version number is 0.8.0, but sometime in the past someone
(David?) created a 1_0 branch. I think we should eventually release with
a number that  won't bring confusion or misunderstandings when we create
a new branch out of the trunk.

 -- Massimo

Re: RPM created for Rivet -- some questions

Posted by Karl Lehenbauer <ka...@flightaware.com>.
Yeah we're on 2.2.