Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org> on 2013/03/26 10:34:30 UTC

Start a new branch for Commons OGNL Integration

Hi guys,
we are trying to release the first version of Commons OGNL, and as you
know, Struts is the first consumer of OGNL :).

As an OGNL developer I think that it could be useful to know what is
the impact of the integration.
As a Struts developer I think that first or later we should update to
the new version.

So, if there are no objection, I would start a new branch where to
include Struts integration with the Commons OGNL library.

See http://goo.gl/r0Oto for further details.

Twitter     :http://www.twitter.com/m_cucchiara
G+          :https://plus.google.com/107903711540963855921
Linkedin    :http://www.linkedin.com/in/mauriziocucchiara
VisualizeMe: http://vizualize.me/maurizio.cucchiara?r=maurizio.cucchiara

Maurizio Cucchiara

Re: Start a new branch for Commons OGNL Integration

Posted by Rene Gielen <re...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good. I would love to see us using commons-ognl as soon as
possible, and branching looks like a proper way to get started without
breaking stuff in the first place.

- René

Posted by Rene Gielen <re...@gmail.com>.
Am 26.03.13 11:20, schrieb Lukasz Lenart:
> 2013/3/26 Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>:
>> Hi guys,
>> we are trying to release the first version of Commons OGNL, and as you
>> know, Struts is the first consumer of OGNL :).
>>
>> As an OGNL developer I think that it could be useful to know what is
>> the impact of the integration.
>> As a Struts developer I think that first or later we should update to
>> the new version.
>>
>> So, if there are no objection, I would start a new branch where to
>> include Struts integration with the Commons OGNL library.
>>
>> See http://goo.gl/r0Oto for further details.
>
> Do we need a branch at all?
>
> It's a breaking change, so it must be introduced with the next major
> version (2.5 or 3.0). Right now I simple replaced ognl3 with
> commons-ognl and just after changing imports and some small changes to
> struts-default.xm everything looks ok - almost ;-) The only problem is
> with the OVal plugin as it bases internally on ognl3 - defining ognl3
> as the OVal plugin dependency solves the problem as well.

OK, did not take package name changes into account - thus using
commons-ognl will be a breaking change

> I see the only value to have a branch - it will be a testing branch,
> just to check if everything is ok, where users can check it out, build
> and test with their applications - but I doubt if this will happened
> ;-)
>
> Basically I don't like branches, they are good if some work must be
> done in already released version (like hotfixes), in any other case
> trunk is the best :-)

I love branches - as long you have proper tooling and work flows to deal
with it (looking at you, Git!). But in this case it seems to be valid to
make migration to commons-ognl part of our efforts on Struts 3.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Maurizio Cucchiara
<mc...@apache.org> wrote:
> I am a bit concerned about using the trunk.
> Commons OGNL has not yet been released, hence we would have to use
> snapshot version, and this will drive Jenkins mad.
> Furthermore, introducing the OGNL dependency to the trunk, the release
> of Struts 2.5 (3, or whatever) will depend on the OGNL release date.

As the OGNL devs are all working on Commons too, we can decide to
release it when we feel its good enough.
What, if we would not commit the changes from Lukasz to the 3.x trunk
until we have the ognl release out.

The main idea was to test ognl with struts, and this is possible; once
we have a first version out, its easier to make a few bug fix
versions in a row, if necessary.

That said, I like branches with GIT but agree with Lukasz that I don't
like them so much on SVN.

Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Start a new branch for Commons OGNL Integration

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2013/3/26 Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>:
> I am a bit concerned about using the trunk.
> Commons OGNL has not yet been released, hence we would have to use
> snapshot version, and this will drive Jenkins mad.
> Furthermore, introducing the OGNL dependency to the trunk, the release
> of Struts 2.5 (3, or whatever) will depend on the OGNL release date.

You are absolutely right, and creating branch just to keep changes
that sooner or latter will be outdated is useless - it would be hard
to merge the changes. I would rather wait with introducing these
changes till 2.5/3.0.

I think Christian just wanted to test how S2 behaves with current
commons-ognl version and it looks ok. It would be good to release
commons-ognl asap as this won't block us in the future.

Regards

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.