Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jens Riboe <je...@ribomation.com> on 2008/02/21 10:18:34 UTC

maven appends sub-project artifactId to urls - Please help

I have an organization POM, with common defs, including url templates
for scm and distribution.

Here are the relevant snippets, from the parent pom
<scm>
  <connection>scm:svn:https://www.myhost.com/svn/pub/${project.name}/trunk</connection>
  <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://www.myhost.com/svn/pub/${project.name}/trunk</developerConnection>
  <url>http://www.myhost.com/websvn/${project.name}/trunk</url>
</scm>
<site>
  <id>doc</id>
  <url>dav:http://dav.myhost.com:8000/doc/${project.name}/</url>
</site>

Here are the relevant snippets, from a test sub-pom
   <parent>
   </parent>
   <artifactId>hello</artifactId>
   <version>0.17</version>
   <packaging>jar</packaging>
   <name>HelloMvn</name>

The problem is that the URLs of the effective pom of the sub-project has the artifactId appended.
<scm>
  <connection>scm:svn:https://www.myhost.com/svn/pub/HelloMvn/trunk/hello</connection>
  <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://www.myhost.com/svn/pub/HelloMvn/trunk/hello</developerConnection>
  <url>http://www.myhost.com/websvn/HelloMvn/trunk/hello</url>
</scm>
<site>
  <id>doc</id>
  <url>dav:http://dav.myhost.com:8000/doc/HelloMvn/hello</url>
</site>

So my question is: How can I disable this "feature", or configure the way it is working?

As it stands right now, I consider this "feature" to be a bug. It's not documented and I hardly see the benefit of it.

There was a mail trail touching this back in December, but it didn't come to a conclusion
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@maven.apache.org/msg77123.html

Regards,
   /jens

Re: maven appends sub-project artifactId to urls - Please help - design suggestion

Posted by Jens Riboe <je...@ribomation.com>.
/>>The maven inheritance mechanism will not take the parent pom into
consideration
/The main idea was to change the hard-coded rule "always append
artifactId to implicit urls" to something
configurable and located in the super pom. Only if somebody wanted to
change the 'rule' that could be
achieved with a minor effort of two intermediary poms.

Yes, this will require a change of the inheritance mechanism. I'm not
familiar with Maven internals
(at least not yet). However, I presumed the inheritance logic was
located to a single place and therefore
could be changed according to my suggestion with a minor effort. Please,
forgive me if my suggestion
turns out to be major implementation headache.
Best regards,
    /jens

Posted by VUB Stefan Seidel <ss...@vub.de>.

--
best regards,

Stefan Seidel
software developer
________________________
VUB Printmedia GmbH
Chopinstraße 4
D-04103 Leipzig
Germany
tel.    +49 (341) 9 60 50 07
fax.    +49 (341) 9 60 50 92
mail.   sseidel@vub.de
web.    www.vub.de

HRB Köln 24015
UStID DE 122 649 251
GF Dr. Achim Preuss Neudorf,
Dr. Christian Preuss Neudorf

Re: maven appends sub-project artifactId to urls - Please help - design suggestion

Posted by Jens Riboe <je...@ribomation.com>.
As I understand it; the current rule implements implicit URLs as
${parent.url}/${project.artifactId}

For example:
<scm>
  <connection>${parentPOM.scm.connection}/${project.artifactId}</connection>
/scm>
Where parentPOM is a made-up symbol denoting an upward search for the
pom property that follows (scm.connection).

So, how about the following suggestion:
The Super POM contains this kind of definition for all URLs where this
rule applies today. When the effective POM
is computed for a sub-project it uses the "closest" url definition that
contains the symbol parentPOM. If none is
found expect the def in super pom, this one is used and the rule applies
as it always has.

On the other hand, if one decides to put an url expression containing
parentPOM into a POM of type 'pom',
then there is a new definition and will be used. That means, we have a
way to define how sub-project urls should
be constructed. I would be delighted if I could define an expression as
    ${parentPOM.scm.connection}/${project.name}/trunk

There is a residual problem, however: I cannot define both an url
expansion expression and an actual url expression
that is intended to be used in sub-projects. The easiest solution, is
just to have two organization poms, the top-most
pom contains the url expansion expressions (overriding the rule from the
super pom) and the one beneath is the
original org pom, containing actual urls that will be used in the
expansions further down.

I'm convinced there are other more elegant solutions. However, the
suggestion above would be fairly easy to implement
without breaking existing code and poms (or require a POM version
increment), but still provide a way for org-pom
designers to tweak the url expansions the way they want.

Comments / Objections ???

Cheers,
    Jens

Posted by VUB Stefan Seidel <ss...@vub.de>.

Posted by VUB Stefan Seidel <ss...@vub.de>.

Posted by Ben Lidgey <be...@inuknetworks.com>.

Posted by VUB Stefan Seidel <ss...@vub.de>.
Hi Jens,

Jens Riboe wrote:
> I have an organization POM, with common defs, including url templates
> for scm and distribution.
>
> Here are the relevant snippets, from the parent pom
> <scm>
>  <connection>scm:svn:https://www.myhost.com/svn/pub/${project.name}/trunk</connection>
>
>  <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://www.myhost.com/svn/pub/${project.name}/trunk</developerConnection>
>
>  <url>http://www.myhost.com/websvn/${project.name}/trunk</url>
> </scm>
> <site>
>  <id>doc</id>
>  <url>dav:http://dav.myhost.com:8000/doc/${project.name}/</url>
> </site>
>
> Here are the relevant snippets, from a test sub-pom
>   <parent>
>   </parent>
>   <artifactId>hello</artifactId>
>   <version>0.17</version>
>   <packaging>jar</packaging>
>   <name>HelloMvn</name>
>

> The problem is that the URLs of the effective pom of the sub-project has
> the artifactId appended.
> <scm>
>  <connection>scm:svn:https://www.myhost.com/svn/pub/HelloMvn/trunk/hello</connection>
>
>  <developerConnection>scm:svn:https://www.myhost.com/svn/pub/HelloMvn/trunk/hello</developerConnection>
>
>  <url>http://www.myhost.com/websvn/HelloMvn/trunk/hello</url>
> </scm>
> <site>
>  <id>doc</id>
>  <url>dav:http://dav.myhost.com:8000/doc/HelloMvn/hello</url>
> </site>
>

> So my question is: How can I disable this "feature", or configure the
> way it is working?
>

> As it stands right now, I consider this "feature" to be a bug. It's not
> documented and I hardly see the benefit of it.
>

> There was a mail trail touching this back in December, but it didn't
> come to a conclusion
> http://www.mail-archive.com/users@maven.apache.org/msg77123.html
>
> Regards,
>   /jens