Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/10 18:41:24 UTC

Website ACL

Based on the following discussion on Apache General [1], I'd like to
give Website write permissions to members of the community that have a
CLA on file [2].

Thoughts ?

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/general%40incubator.apache.org/msg14391.html
[2] http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Re: Website ACL

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
I think this is exactly what I'm proposing. The only requirement is
that, someone that we would consider for "Website wiki committership"
MUST have a CLA in place. We could even promote voting for this karma,
although I don't think this is widely recognized in ASF.

On 7/15/07, Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I think that we should consider the idea of "Website Wiki committership"
> separately from "Code committership".

+1

> I don't think that it should be necessary for someone to have Code
> committership in order to be granted update access to the Website/Wiki.

+1

Re: Website ACL

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 7/16/07, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ant wrote:
> > So no problem, when someone comes along we want to grant access just
> discuss
> > and vote on the private list and we can just give them access.
>
> +1
>
> On 7/15/07, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> > The Apache CWIKI page is now quite clear about this (not sure what
> changed,
> > i thought some cwiki page used to say the opposite?) -
> >
> > "An individual person contributing documentation in this way is not
> required
> > to be a "committer", but he or she does need to file a CLA, so that
> there is
> > no doubt that the individual intends to contribute the copyright on the
> > documentation to the ASF. Of course, whenever anyone makes "welcome and
> > sustained contributions" to the documentation, it is appropriate to
> invite
> > that person to become a committer and PMC Member, and share in the
> decision
> > making." - see http://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/.
> >
> > So no problem, when someone comes along we want to grant access just
> discuss
> > and vote on the private list and we can just give them access. If we
> could
> > get cwiki change emails sent to the tuscany-commit mailing list so its
> easy
> > to give some oversight then I'd be in favour of a very low bar of entry.
> >
> >    ...ant
> >
> > On 7/15/07, Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > I think that we should consider the idea of "Website Wiki
> committership"
> > > separately from "Code committership".
> > >
> > > I don't think that it should be necessary for someone to have Code
> > > committership in order to be granted update access to the
> Website/Wiki.
> > >
> > > I do agree that it needs to be controlled, but that we should draw up
> > > wider list of folk who are allowed to edit material on the
> Website.  As
> > > has been pointed out, updates to the website have slowed down since we
> > > restricted write access.  This is not good.  Our website needs plenty
> of
> > > work.
> > >

> > > Yours,  Mike.

> space,

> source.

> are

> granted

> and do

> Luciano Resende
> Apache Tuscany Committer
> http://people.apache.org/~lresende
> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

> +1 sounds like the right level of control to me.

Simon

Re: Website ACL

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website ACL

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
My CLA is in place and recorded on [1].  Please give me write access.

   Simon

[1] http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html

Re: Website ACL

Posted by Amita Vadhavkar <am...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website ACL

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Ant.

Re: Website ACL

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Website ACL

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Ant,

Re: Website ACL

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Website ACL

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Website ACL

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Re: Website ACL

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website ACL

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Website ACL

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
I was referring to the following paragraph...

"a CLA is required for cover substantial contributions for source. therefore
wiki karma must only be granted those with a CLA."

Robert also says later on :

"a committer is essentially a developer with a CLA "

If we have control to who gets access, and we are covered, on the
legal aspects, by having the CLA in place, we should be Ok.  What are
your concerns here ?

The other two alternatives I see are :

   - Make wiki patches, or copies from "ocpy of the website wiki"
   - Make all website contributors a Tuscany committer

Thoughts ? Suggestions ?

Re: Website ACL

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Website ACL