Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Phil Coultard <co...@coultard.com> on 2003/04/04 19:52:34 UTC

Newbie: yet ANOTHER problem: db access (NoValidConnectionException)

Geoff: Thanks for all your help, you are a star.

Big apologies from a newbie struggling with the basics of Cocoon...

I have run into yet another problem which I don't seem to be able to get
over...

This time I am trying to connect to a MySQL db but get the message:

ERROR   (2003-04-04) 16:18.09:150   [sitemap.generator.serverpages]
(/ltd_coultard/mount/com_coultard/tickets) Thread-10/tickets_xsp: Could not
get the datasource
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.NoValidConnectionException: No valid
JdbcConnection class available

in the error log file
(tomcat/webapps/applicationname/WEB-INF/logs/error.log) when I run my xsp
(enclosed below)

I am also new to MySQL but am familiar with MSSQL so...

I have:
-made the db (called coultard) and made sure MySQL is running (it works fine
solo)
-put the MySQL db jar file (mysql-connector-java-3.0.6-stable-bin.jar) in
C:\tomcat\common\lib
-put the init-param for preloading the driver in web.xml as below.
-defined the connection pool as below
-attempted to run the xsp below

I just spits out the title of the page and the session user value (which I
have set via a login script) which would be consistent with their being no
results except the same sql statement returns results if run directly in
MySQL and the error message suggests to me it's not even getting that far.

I am using:
Win 98
JDK 1.3.1
Tomcat 4.1.24
Cocoon 2.0.4

MySQL 4.0.12Win
jar file from: mysql-connector-java-3.0.6-stable

What confuses me is that my book (Cocoon developers handbook) assures me
that any errors preloading the driver or defining the connection pool will
be thrown up when they are attempted (when the application starts) and shown
in access.log and core.log respectfully. My entries in these two logs look
fine:

----
DEBUG   (2003-04-04) 16:14.22:850   [access] (Unknown-URI)
Unknown-thread/CocoonServlet: Trying to load class: org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
----

----
DEBUG   (2003-04-04) 16:14.24:010   [core.manager] (Unknown-URI)
Unknown-thread/DefaultComponentFactory: logger attribute is
core.datasources.coultard
DEBUG   (2003-04-04) 16:14.24:390   [core.manager] (Unknown-URI)
Unknown-thread/ThreadSafeComponentHandler: ComponentHandler initialized for:
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.ResourceLimitingJdbcDataSource
DEBUG   (2003-04-04) 16:14.24:390   [core.manager] (Unknown-URI)
Unknown-thread/ExcaliburComponentSelector: Adding
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.ResourceLimitingJdbcDataSource for
hint [coultard]
DEBUG   (2003-04-04) 16:14.24:390   [core.manager] (Unknown-URI)
Unknown-thread/ThreadSafeComponentHandler: ComponentHandler initialized for:
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector
----

And yet the error thrown when I try to load the page rather suggests to me
that it can't find, or hasn't 'installed' the jar file properly...

On the assumption that the preload and connection pool substantiations are
working I have two theories (which I'm sure are probably wrong!)
1. That the <param-value>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver is incorrect. I got this
value from my book  but it is sadly for an older MySQL driver. I notice the
first line of the README which comes with the jar file reads "MySQL
Connector/J 3.0.6 Stable (formerly MM.MySQL)" and was wondering if this
change in naming convention is mirrored somehow in it. I have been unable to
find a reference for the correct string for this value (MySQL referring to
"read your servlet engine or application server vendor's documentation";
Cocoon seemingly not making a reference to what these strings should be
except for the commented WebSphere, Oracle and IBMWebshpere). Further
attempts to substantiate this theory and attempts at guessing its value have
been unfruitful.

2. That my reference to the dburl is incorrect. My db is physically located
in C:\mysql\data\ and not under the tomcat/webapps dir so I was wondering if
this had any influence on the matter.

Thankfully

Phil

----
extract from tomcat/webapps/applicationname/WEB-INF/web.xml
----
    <init-param>
      <param-name>load-class</param-name>
      <param-value>
        org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
      </param-value>
    </init-param>

----
extract from tomcat/webapps/applicationname/WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf
----
  <!-- Datasources: -->
  <datasources>
    <jdbc name="coultard" logger="core.datasources.coultard">
      <pool-controller max="10" min="5"/>
      <auto-commit>false</auto-commit>
      <dburl>jdbc:mysql://localhost/coultard</dburl>
      <user>root</user>
      <password/>
    </jdbc>
  </datasources>

----
tickets.xsp
----

<xsp:page language="java"
  xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp"
  xmlns:xsp-session="http://apache.org/xsp/session/2.0"

<page>

 <page-title>Trouble tickets for <xsp-session:get-attribute
name="user"/></page-title>

 <content>

  <esql:connection>
   <esql:pool>coultard</esql:pool>
   <esql:execute-query>
    <esql:query>
     select * from TroubleTickets where Customer =
     '<xsp-session:get-attribute name="user"/>'
     order by TicketOpened
    </esql:query>
    <esql:results>
     <tickets>
      <esql:row-results>
       <ticket>
        <esql:get-columns/>
       </ticket>
      </esql:row-results>
     </tickets>
    </esql:results>
   </esql:execute-query>
  </esql:connection>

 </content>
</page>

</xsp:page>

---

Re: Newbie: yet ANOTHER problem: db access (NoValidConnectionException)

Posted by Perry Molendijk <xi...@iinet.net.au>.
Try "com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" instead of "org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver".

I have had a similar error message like that before and the above seem to fix it.

Perry

  Geoff: Thanks for all your help, you are a star.

  Big apologies from a newbie struggling with the basics of Cocoon...

  I have run into yet another problem which I don't seem to be able to get
  over...

  This time I am trying to connect èz}üØx}Øx} MySQL db but get the message:

  ERROR   (2003-04-04) 16:18.09:150   [sitemap.generator.serverpages]
  (/ltd_coultard/mount/com_coultard/tickets) Thread-10/tickets_xsp: Could not
  get the datasource
  org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.NoValidConnectionException: No valid
  JdbcConnection class available

  in the error log file
  (tomcat/webapps/applicationname/WEB-INF/logs/error.log) when I run my xsp
  (enclosed below)

  I am also new to MySQL but am familiar with MSSQL so...

  I have:
  -made the dØx}üÈv}Èv}alled coultard) and made sure MySQL is running (it works fine
  solo)
  -put the MySQL db jar file (mysql-connector-java-3.0.6-stable-bin.jar) in
  C:\tomcat\common\lib
  -put the init-param for preloading the driver in web.xml as below.
  -defined the connection pool as below
  -attempted to run the xsp below

  I just spits out the title of the page and the session user value (which I
  have set via a login script) which would be consistent with their being no
  results except the same sql statement returns rÈv}ü¸t}¸t}ts if run directly in
  MySQL and the error message suggests to me it's not even getting that far.

  I am using:
  Win 98
  JDK 1.3.1
  Tomcat 4.1.24
  Cocoon 2.0.4

  MySQL 4.0.12Win
  jar file from: mysql-connector-java-3.0.6-stable

  What confuses me is that my book (Cocoon developers handbook) assures me
  that any errors preloading the driver or defining the connection pool will
  be thrown up when they are attempted (when the application starts) and shown
  in access.log and core.log respectfully. My ent¸t}ü¨r}¨r} in these two logs look
  fine:

  ----
  DEBUG   (2003-04-04) 16:14.22:850   [access] (Unknown-URI)
  Unknown-thread/CocoonServlet: Trying to load class: org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
  ----

  ----
  DEBUG   (2003-04-04) 16:14.24:010   [core.manager] (Unknown-URI)
  Unknown-thread/De¨r}ü˜p}˜p}tComponentFactory: logger attribute is
  core.datasources.coultard
  DEBUG   (2003-04-04) 16:14.24:390   [core.manager] (Unknown-URI)
  Unknown-thread/ThreadSafeComponentHandler: ComponentHandler initialized for:
  org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.ResourceLimitingJdbcDataSource
  DEBUG   (2003-04-04) 16:14.24:390   [core.manager] (Unknown-URI)
  Unknown-thread/ExcaliburComponentSelector: Adding
  org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.ResourceLimitingJdbcDataSource for
  hint [coultard]
  DEBUG   (2003-04-˜p}üˆn}ˆn}16:14.24:390   [core.manager] (Unknown-URI)
  Unknown-thread/ThreadSafeComponentHandler: ComponentHandler initialized for:
  org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector
  ----

  And yet the error thrown when I try to load the page rather suggests to me
  that it can't find, or hasn't 'installed' the jar file properly...

  On the assumption that the preload and connection pool substantiations are
  working I hˆn}üxl}xl}two theories (which I'm sure are probably wrong!)
  1. That the <param-value>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver is incorrect. I got this
  value from my book  but it is sadly for an older MySQL driver. I notice the
  first line of the README which comes with the jar file reads "MySQL
  Connector/J 3.0.6 Stable (formerly MM.MySQL)" and was wondering if this
  change in naming convention is mirrored somehow in it. I have been unable to
  find a reference for the correct string for this value (MySQL referring to
  "read youxl}ühj}hj}rvlet engine or application server vendor's documentation";
  Cocoon seemingly not making a reference to what these strings should be
  except for the commented WebSphere, Oracle and IBMWebshpere). Further
  attempts to substantiate this theory and attempts at guessing its value have
  been unfruitful.

  2. That my reference to the dburl is incorrect. My db is physically located
  in C:\mysql\data\ and not under the tomcat/webapps dir so I was wondering if
  this had any influence on the matter.

  Thankfuhj}üXh}Xh}

  Phil

  ----
  extract from tomcat/webapps/applicationname/WEB-INF/web.xml
  ----
      <init-param>
        <param-name>load-class</param-name>
        <param-value>
          org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver
        </param-value>
      </init-param>

  ----
  extract from tomcat/webaXh}üHf}Hf}applicationname/WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf
  ----
    <!-- Datasources: -->
    <datasources>
      <jdbc name="coultard" logger="core.datasources.coultard">
        <pool-controller max="10" min="5"/>
        <auto-commit>false</auto-commit>
        <dburl>jdbc:mysql://localhost/coultard</dburl>
        <user>root</user>
        <password/>
      </jdbc>
    </datasources>

  -------------------------------------------------------------------Hf}ü8d}8d}-----
  ----
  tickets.xsp
  ----

  <xsp:page language="java"
    xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp"
    xmlns:xsp-session="http://apache.org/xsp/session/2.0"

  <page>

   <page-title>Trouble tickets for <xsp-session:get-attribute
  name="user"/></page-title>

   <content>

    <esql:connection>
     <esql:pool>coultard</esql:pool>
     <e8d}ü(b}(b}execute-query>
      <esql:query>
       select * from TroubleTickets where Customer =
       '<xsp-session:get-attribute name="user"/>'
       order by TicketOpened
      </esql:query>
      <esql:results>
       <tickets>
        <esql:row-results>
         <ticket>
          <esql:get-columns/>
         </ticket>
        </esql:row-results>
       </tickets>
      </esql:results>
     </esql:execute-query>
    </esql:connection>

   </content>
  </page>

  </xsp:page>

  ---
  C(b}ü`}`}ed by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

  list-help: <m`}ü^}

Re[2]: Newbie: yet ANOTHER problem: db access (NoValidConnectionException)

Posted by Jens Maukisch <co...@maukisch.net>.
Hi,

maybe you should include the port in your dburl
<dburl>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/coultard</dburl>

--
* best regards
* Jens Maukisch

RE: Newbie: yet ANOTHER problem: db access (NoValidConnectionException)

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi Phil,

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Phil Coultard wrote:

> Frustrated and feeling rather thick,

Don't worry, I've spent many hours on db connection problems, it's always
a sticking point and a nightmare to get sorted out.

Here's some step-by-step checks (worth repeating, as typos are often the
problem!):

1) Is the mysql server running and accepting connections?

- Test this using the mysql command-line client:

  mysql -D your_db_name -h localhost -P 3306 -pyour_password -u your_user

  Make sure you can select the information you want to use in the XSP (to
  ensure the user you're connecting as has rights to the db and the
  table):

  SELECT foo FROM bar;

- Test connections with telnet:

  telnet localhost 3306
  (you should see something like "3.23.56-log$8,u+r}>" which shows you
  can at least connect to localhost)

2) Is the (right) mysql jar available?

- Check that you downloaded the correct jar for your JDK, as jdbc
connectors are java version-specific.

- Check in $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib/ for the presence of
mysql-connector-java-3.0.6-bin.jar or similar.

- Check that it is correctly referenced in WEB-INF/web.xml:

    <init-param>
      <param-name>load-class</param-name>
      <param-value>
        <!-- For Database Driver: -->
        com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
      </param-value>
    </init-param>

3) Is the Cocoon database connection pool configured?

- Check that it's correctly configured in WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf:

  <datasources>
    <jdbc logger="core.datasources.your_db_name" name="your_db_name">
      <pool-controller max="10" min="5"/>
      <dburl>jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/your_db_name</dburl>
      <user>your_user</user>
      <password>your_password</password>
    </jdbc>
  </datasources>

4) Is the XSP written correctly?

- Try the simplest possible XSP that could work, first:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<xsp:page language="java" xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp" xmlns:esql="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2">

  <page>

    <esql:connection>
      <esql:pool>your_db_name</esql:pool>
      <esql:execute-query>
        <esql:query>SELECT foo FROM bar</esql:query>
        <esql:results>
          <esql:row-results>
            <foo><esql:get-string column="foo"/></foo>
          </esql:row-results>
        </esql:results>
      </esql:execute-query>
    </esql:connection>

  </page>

</xsp:page>

That said, from looking at what you've done so far, you've got everything
correct :-/

Andrew.

RE: Newbie: yet ANOTHER problem: db access (NoValidConnectionException)

Posted by Phil Coultard <co...@coultard.com>.
Hi Marco,

Thanks for your help in pointing me to the right section of the README

I have replaced the driver ref with the right string but I'm still getting
the same error message when I try to run the xsp.

Jens,

Thanks for your suggestion too of including the port number in the .xconf
dburl in the form <dburl>jdbc:mysql://localhost:8080/dbname but that just
makes the server startup procedure hang half way through. I don't really
understand why this is.

Posted by Marco Rolappe <m_...@web.de>.

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi Phil,

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Phil Coultard wrote:

> Nope. That didn't work either... still getting the same message:
>
> "ERROR   (2003-04-06) 00:50.36:940   [sitemap.generator.serverpages]
> (/ltd_coultard/tickets.xsp) Thread-11/tickets_xsp: Could not get the
> datasource
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource.NoValidConnectionException: No valid
> JdbcConnection class available"

Presumably all the other steps (eg connecting with command-line mysql
client) worked?

Can you just confirm for us which version of Cocoon and which mysql jar
you're using?

Cocoon: http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist/cocoon-2.0.4-bin.zip for
JDK1.3.1

Mysql: from http://www.mysql.com/downloads/api-jdbc-stable.html

Copy mysql-connector-java-3.0.6-stable-bin.jar from the zip/tar file into
cocoon/WEB-INF/lib/

- Restart tomcat

> This is one mild mannered Englishman who is off out to buy a baseball bat
> soon ;-)

I have a few lying around if you want to buy one second hand (in generally
good condition, a few bits of keyboard still attached).

If none of the above works, it may be worth trying to compile your own
copy of Cocoon. If you do this, drop the mysql jar into lib/local/ and
then follow the rest of the instructions for building.

Andrew.

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Definitely go carefully through Andrew's list of checks first
but I don't think that's your problem.

Change your port back to 3306 or get rid of it from your connect
string.  8080 is the tomcat port, but not the mysql port (by
default at least - if you overrode that in configuring mysql
and set it to 8080 then you'll need to fix that!)

How did you get your version of cocoon?  I assume you downloaded
a distribution like cocoon-2.0.4-vm14-bin.zip.  If you still have
this around, or can reconstruct/remember which one you chose
make sure you did _NOT_ get the one above but instead got
cocoon-2.0.4-bin.zip.  The excalibur project classes that
handle the datasource pool had a version dependency on java
version.  Since you're using JDK 1.3, if you are trying to
use the cocoon release for JDK 1.4 you'll get this exception.

You should also be able to go to lib\ and look for the excalibur
datasource jar (don't remember if all excalibur classes were
bundled together or separate in 2.0.4 release) - it should have
some kind of version info on it, including the target JDK it was
compiled for.  If there is a conflict you have a couple of choices:
- Switch to JDK 1.4 OR
- Download the correct cocoon dist. OR
- Replace the excalibur datasource jar with the version from the other
distribution.  This may not work, but if you're on a slow dialup and
can find someone to send you the right version of just that jar, it's
worth a shot first.

For some reason I seem to remember this also being thrown with
a permissions problem in mysql.  I thought that root usually
got full access from all hosts and can't find any messages in
the archives along these lines so perhaps I'm wrong. But if
clearing up the jdk dependency doesn't work, try explicitly
giving root access to the database you're using for the wildcard
host: %.  I seem to remember that mysql does not think you're
coming from localhost when you connect via jdbc.  You'll need to
consult the mysql manual for the grant command.

I noticed your jar was in a tomcat lib directory.  You may want to
follow Andrew's advice and move it to the WEB-INF\lib\ directory.
Should work either place, but there are some classloader subtleties
that could be throwing things off.

Geoff

---

AW: Newbie: yet ANOTHER problem: db access (NoValidConnectionException)

Posted by Marco Rolappe <m_...@web.de>.
hi phil,