Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org> on 2019/07/07 22:38:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] Draft board report for July 2019

Attached below is a draft of this month's board report. Please let me
know if you have any additions or corrections.

Apache Calcite is a highly customizable framework for parsing and
planning queries on data in a wide variety of formats. It allows
database-like access, and in particular a SQL interface and advanced
query optimization, for data not residing in a traditional database.

Avatica is a sub-project within Calcite and provides a framework for
building local and remote JDBC and ODBC database drivers. Avatica has an
independent release schedule and its own repository.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time

## Activity:
Development and mailing list activity is steady for both Calcite and its
Avatica sub-project.

Since the last report, we have added 4 new committers and 1 new PMC
member. In terms of pull requests and mailing list participation, we are
also seeing a lot new contributors. In our last report, we also noted an
improvement in the review of pull requests by new committers as well as
contributors without committer status. We are seeing a continual
improvement in this area with most PRs receiving an initial ping from a
committer or a contributor within the first couple of days after it's
been opened.

In terms of releases, Calcite 1.20.0 was released in late June,
containing more than 130 fixes and enhancements. This makes it one of
our largest releases ever. We also released Avatica 1.14.0 in late
April, which was then followed by 1.15.0 in mid-May, due to a regression
that broke existing behavior expected by Avatica clients. A release of
Avatica-Go, 4.0.0, was also released in the middle of May.

We are seeing continual momentum in the project and are very happy to
see new faces, both on the mailing list as well as contributing code via
pull requests. We believe this is a testament to our welcoming community
as well as the commercial applicability of the project.

## Health report:
Activity levels on mailing lists, git and JIRA are normal for both
Calcite and Avatica.

## PMC changes:

  - Currently 20 PMC members.
  - Stamatis Zampetakis was added to the PMC on Sat Apr 13 2019

## Committer base changes:

  - Currently 43 committers.
  - New commmitters:
     - Chunwei Lei was added as a committer on Sat Apr 27 2019
     - Danny Chen was added as a committer on Tue May 14 2019
     - Ruben Q L was added as a committer on Sat Apr 27 2019
     - Zhiwei Peng was added as a committer on Sat Apr 27 2019

## Releases:

  - 1.20.0 was released on Mon Jun 24 2019
  - avatica-1.14.0 was released on Mon Apr 29 2019
  - avatica-1.15.0 was released on Mon May 13 2019
  - calcite-avatica-go-4.0.0 was released on Thu May 16 2019

## JIRA activity:

Re: [DISCUSS] Draft board report for July 2019

Posted by Chunwei Lei <ch...@gmail.com>.
Great report! +1.

Best,
Chunwei