Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net> on 2021/02/09 00:21:25 UTC

Have the info for Pages and Projects

I have the information to set up Pages and Projects for the repository.
I will be working on it tomorrow morning. It requires using .asf.yaml
and this will be my first experience with it and want to be wide awake
when I start. Once it is done we can use them to coordinate who is
working on what.

regards
Keith

Re: Have the info for Pages and Projects

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
On 2/9/2021 2:09 AM, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
> Hello Keith, All,
>
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 07:21:25PM -0500, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>
>> I have the information to set up Pages and Projects for the repository.
>> I will be working on it tomorrow morning. It requires using .asf.yaml
>> and this will be my first experience with it and want to be wide awake
>> when I start. Once it is done we can use them to coordinate who is
>> working on what.
>
> The Wiki is full of to-do tables and similar organizational pages,
> probably from the times of OpenOffice.org. This should demonstrate
> that it is probably ``good enough'' for the purpose.
>
> Did you consider using the wiki, instead of setting up (and learning)
> a new instrument?  IMHO it could help to lower entry barriers for
> contributors.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Best regards,

Arrigo;

We tried going with the wiki originally, but when the lead writer left
it went to hell in a hand basket. People would start, then get
frustrated at the lack of available mentors, learning the mwiki format
and not having someone that delegates exactly what the should do next.

I tried 4 different times to get it going again and finally gave up.I
finally floated a proposal a few months ago to start using Writer to do
all the user documentation and have it under version control. Since the
project switched from Subversion to Git that is what made sense.

Posted by Dennis Hamilton <or...@msn.com>.
I think that so long as GitHub is used for the repository and all the other aspects of user-guide creation, it is valuable to have these facilities in one place for anyone accessing apache/openoffice-docs.  Everything is publicly readable using a web browser.  To participate at any more-extensive degree, only a single GitHub account is required and it does not need anyone's permission.

I find this to be rather high functionality with low friction to participation on projects conducted in the open.  I am also an experienced software developer.

I also concede that using git (and GitHub) can be daunting for contributors who are users of AOO without being software developers.  I think it is less daunting, overall, than getting into the mix of Apache OpenOffice project developer-oriented facilities and the level of curation they require.

Your mileage may vary.

No matter what, the documentation project needs some documentation, and GitHub affords that too.

There have already been pull requests and setup of a Getting-Started-Guide branch with a Review folder.

Any 4.1.8 and 4.1.9 branches seem to have been removed.  There are also two forks although one can also clone (make a synchronized working copy) of apache/openoffice-docs directly (but probably not be able to make commits without being registered as an Apache Committer).  You can see what the forks are and navigate to and from them at the < https://github.com/apache/openoffice-docs> page.

A fork (a synchronizable copy as another GitHub repo) can be kept up-to-date with the official repository it forks, and changes in the fork can be submitted back to the official repo. A clone of the fork, kept in sync with the fork, can be used as a local working copy on a contributor's desktop system that has git (and on Windows, a GitHub app is handy).  From a fork, one can make some edits (synced from a clone usually) and request they be pulled (merged) into the apache/openoffice-docs repo.  There is a built-in GitHub review and approval process that goes with that.  Keith is being the gatekeeper and appears to be the only committer.

You can see the first pull request and the commentary/resolution at
< https://github.com/apache/openoffice-docs/pull/1>

 - Dennis

--
Arrigo

Re: Have the info for Pages and Projects

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Hello Keith, All,

http://rigo.altervista.org