Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Parag Kalra <pa...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/20 02:06:04 UTC

Online examples showing usage of Apache POI

Hi All,

I have just started leaning Java and exploring Apache POI would be my first
step. Could anyone please point to some online URL explaining different
classes/methods in detail on how to use Apache POI to parse excel sheets.

I have just downloaded Apache POI. It seem to contain many libraries. Can
anybody explain the significance of these libraries and which are the basic
required libraries I should include in my code.

Cheers,
Parag

Re: Online examples showing usage of Apache POI

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
If you are not yet comfortable with the Java language, I would set POI aisde
until you are. Understand how to create objects, call their methods and
handle the values they return, get to know the difference between class and
instance variables/methods, how to reference archives on the classpath, how
to import classes, how to use packages yourself to manage your own code and
the like and then try to apply what you have learned in using POI to do some
work for you.

The best place to look for examples is the POI website and I would start
here;

http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/quick-guide.html
http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/how-to.html
http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/examples.html

The online javadocs will explain what each class does, but they do not go
into exhaustive detail and my advice would always be to get an idea of what
you want to do - think good old fashioned pseudo code, something like;

Open a binary Excel workbook.
Iterate through each sheet in the workbook and
    For each row on the worksheet
        Print out the contents of each cell

and then check through the how to and quick guide to see if there is any
help there, if not, search the list and then post a question to ask about
anything you are unsure of.

It really would be very difficult to explain everything you need to know
about POI in a single email. Likewise, I cannot say which packages you need
to include on your classpath without further information. If you are
intending to work with just the older binary workbooks (.xlsx) then all you
will need to specify is the standard poi library to work with the classes in
the HSSF package; on the other hand, if you are intending to work with the
newer OOXML based files (.xlsx) then you will need to specify a few more
archives and work with classes in different packages.

So, let us know more about what you are intending to do, using which version
of the api to which version of the Excel file format, binary (.xls) or OOXML
(.xlsx), and then we can give you a more detailed answer. All the best and
keep in touch.

Yours

Mark B