Posted to ftpserver-dev@incubator.apache.org by James Im <im...@hotmail.com> on 2006/12/11 11:59:42 UTC

Ftp mina module

Hi,

I would like to know if you think that it would be a good idea implement
the ftp server based on mina? For one, I think that it would be awesome.

Now that mina 1.0 has been released and that mina is a Top Level Project
it is a lot safer to do (mina ain't going to disapear and the AIP is
stable). Mina is also used by a growing number of persons which means
that the code base will be maintained, the performance is good and will
be better and more bugs will be found and solved.

I already use asynchweb (for http) that it based on mina and I believe
that other protocols will also be based on mina. It would be great if
the ftp protocol (your project) could be based on mina.

I really think that there is a synergy between this 2 projects. I hope
that you see it too.

Opret en personlig blog og del dine billeder p� MSN Spaces:
http://spaces.msn.com/

Re: Ftp mina module

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
James Im wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if you think that it would be a good idea implement
> the ftp server based on mina? For one, I think that it would be awesome.
>
> Now that mina 1.0 has been released and that mina is a Top Level Project
> it is a lot safer to do (mina ain't going to disapear and the AIP is
> stable). Mina is also used by a growing number of persons which means
> that the code base will be maintained, the performance is good and will
> be better and more bugs will be found and solved.
>
> I already use asynchweb (for http) that it based on mina and I believe
> that other protocols will also be based on mina. It would be great if
> the ftp protocol (your project) could be based on mina.
>
> I really think that there is a synergy between this 2 projects. I hope
> that you see it too.

Investigating how FtpServer could use MINA is high up on my wish list.
It's been suggested before and I think that we should really have a look
at what it would take and if it will bring any benefits (which I'm
pretty convinced it will).

Some outstanding questions I have which you might know the answer for:

* How could MINA handle the data connection sockets used in FTP? Could
it support both active and passive modes? Or should FtpServer handle the
data connection outside of MINA?
* How closely could a MINA based design follow our current design (e.g.
FtpRequests, FtpWriter, Commands) or would it require a large refactoring?
* Does MINA support IP filtering (like our IP restrictor) out of the box?

Anyways, I would love to get this work done. I still have some other
things I would like to do first (primarily extending our tests to allow
for such a large refactoring) but I hope to do some experimenting
soonish. If you would like to play around with integrating FtpServer and
MINA I would love to help you out as much as I can!

/niklas

/niklas