Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com> on 2002/11/21 20:41:21 UTC

[maintenance branch] FOP servlet doubled

Hello!

FOP sample servlets are now at contrib/servlet directory and look fine,
but docs/examples/embedding still contains kind of partial copy - java
sources and old buggy fop.war. Lets remove docs/examples/embedding
directory altogether or at least this second fop.war?

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team

Re: [maintenance branch] FOP servlet doubled

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Christian Geisert wrote:

> I had planed to remove the old docs/example/embedding and add
> the contrib/servlet stuff to the distributen for the release
+1 Sounds as simple while clean enough temporary solution.

Lets leave merging contrib/servlet and the main codebase to the trunk?
+1

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:
[..]

> web.xml: keep it with the *.java.

I would prefer something like src/conf/web.xml

> servlet.jar: provide a property for the location, defaulting
> to lib/servlet.jar. Conditionalize the servlet compilation
> on availability of ${servlet.jar}. Users can either copy a
> servlet.jar to the lib directory, or use a
>  -Dservlet.jar=/foo/bar/servlet-2.3.jar
> on the command line (or whatever the proper Ant syntax is for
> defining properties for the CLI).

I had planed to remove the old docs/example/embedding and add
the contrib/servlet stuff to the distributen for the release
but if you want to change this I don't mind.
This has at least the advantage of one classpath less to take care of.

Christian

Re: [maintenance branch] FOP servlet doubled

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:

> web.xml: keep it with the *.java.
> servlet.jar: provide a property for the location, defaulting
> to lib/servlet.jar. Conditionalize the servlet compilation
> on availability of ${servlet.jar}. Users can either copy a
> servlet.jar to the lib directory, or use a
>  -Dservlet.jar=/foo/bar/servlet-2.3.jar
> on the command line (or whatever the proper Ant syntax is for
> defining properties for the CLI)
Looks ok to me, +1. We should be in time for 0.20.5rc (no CLI of course).
Other opinions?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> Wow, not a bad idea. But what about web.xml and servlet.jar, which is
> required to build it? If it's in main build script we have to be more
> careful, otherwise it can be one more fop-user-traffic-generator.

web.xml: keep it with the *.java.
servlet.jar: provide a property for the location, defaulting
to lib/servlet.jar. Conditionalize the servlet compilation
on availability of ${servlet.jar}. Users can either copy a
servlet.jar to the lib directory, or use a
  -Dservlet.jar=/foo/bar/servlet-2.3.jar
on the command line (or whatever the proper Ant syntax is for
defining properties for the CLI).

>> BTW what about splitting the apps directory ...
> I believe it should be done in context of FOP decomposition and
> avalonization.

Me too. I think, however, some "release early" is called for.
The api directory should contain primarily interfaces and some
classes like FOPException which are primarily used by anyone
who wants to use FOP in some Java program. Sort of TrAX for
XSLFO. As long as the classes in apps are kept, not much harm
should be caused by some experiments there.

J.Pietschmann

Re: [maintenance branch] FOP servlet doubled

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> Hmmm, looks like Joerg sees it differently -
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=103196215022751&w=2

This was a statement of the status quo, which I don't
like particularly well.

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Yes, dump that directory. That's redundancy. We just have to make sure,
> that the documentation points the right way, too.

Hmmm, looks like Joerg sees it differently -
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=103196215022751&w=2

 > Contrib/servlet is not distributed, instead, the Java source
 > and a war file is in docs/examples/embedding. The war file
 > in the current distribution has still an old invalid web.xml
 > in it.

So, I'm gonna replace old buggy docs/examples/embedding/fop.war with a
new one, generated using /contrib/servlet stuff. What about redundancy -
lets wait Joerg is back.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

On 21.11.2002 20:41:21 Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> FOP sample servlets are now at contrib/servlet directory and look fine,
> but docs/examples/embedding still contains kind of partial copy - java
> sources and old buggy fop.war. Lets remove docs/examples/embedding
> directory altogether or at least this second fop.war?

Jeremias Maerki