Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Manjula Peiris <ma...@wso2.com> on 2008/07/03 19:21:41 UTC

Chunking when doing MTOM

Hi,

I was able to fix MTOM caching stuff for both sender and receiving ends.
In sender side instead of loading the whole attachment it will send the
attachment + data as chunked. Only very small portion of the attachment
will be loaded in to the memory at any given time. In order to achieve
this I did some axiom level changes and transport level changes.Because
the way of constructing what to send when it is chunked and not chunked
is far different I propose we send MTOM only with chunking. So when
sending MTOM Axis2/C will automatically switch on chunking. Remember in
the receiving side it will accept both chunked and dechunked data. WDYT?

Thanks,
-Manjula.
--
Manjula Peiris: http://manjula-peiris.blogspot.com/

Re: Chunking when doing MTOM

Posted by Manjula Peiris <ma...@wso2.com>.
On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 06:40 +0530, Danushka Menikkumbura wrote:

> The MTOM spec does not say anything about data compression right?.
> Otherwise we could have achieved even better performance with compression.
Yes the MTOM spec does not say anything about compression. So even we
compress the attachment from Axis2/C there will be interoperability
problems.  If you are going to compress you need to do at application
transport level (I mean the whole HTTP body in HTTP case). Even if we
compress the attachment with the caching stuff in place we will be
benefited from network bandwidth wise but not much from Memory, because
when caching a very small portion we are loading to the memory at any
given time.

Re: Chunking when doing MTOM

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@wso2.com>.

Re: Chunking when doing MTOM

Posted by Manjula Peiris <ma...@wso2.com>.
On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 00:51 -0400, Sahan Gamage wrote:
> Manjula,
>
> How about HTTP 1.0 case ? I think we should still support HTTP 1.0 and
> it does not support chunking IIRC. Also what happens in SMTP case
> (once/if we have it in place) ? I think MTOM implementation should be
> somewhat (not completely) transport independent and if the underlying
> transport supports whatever features (chunking, compression ...etc) we
> should use it. But we shouldn't make it mandatory to use features that
> are specific to some transports.

Your argument is right. But giving both these options in HTTP case will
make the current code base more and more complex. And Apache also says
it is HTTP 1.1 server. By default its responses are HTTP 1.1 even the
request is HTTP 1.0. See [1] for more details.

When talking about other transports we need to write some piece of code
inside those transport implementations in order to handle MTOM. So what
I propose is for the time being we keep this mandatory till this
implementation becomes stable and then consider the other aspects, like
HTTP 1.0 + MTOM. Remember this will not affect Axis2/C HTTP 1.0 support
when not doing mtom.

[1]http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/env.html

Re: Chunking when doing MTOM

Posted by Rajika Kumarasiri <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Sahan Gamage <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Manjula,
>
> How about HTTP 1.0 case ? I think we should still support HTTP 1.0 and
> it does not support chunking IIRC. Also what happens in SMTP case
> (once/if we have it in place) ?

SMTP transport  binding for SOAP1.1/1,2 doesn't  define any chucking
mechanism.The soap body is sent as a packed  MIME message.

-Rajika

comp.lang.c - http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c/topics

Re: Chunking when doing MTOM

Posted by Sahan Gamage <sa...@gmail.com>.
Manjula,

Re: Chunking when doing MTOM

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>.
Manjula Peiris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was able to fix MTOM caching stuff for both sender and receiving ends.
> In sender side instead of loading the whole attachment it will send the
> attachment + data as chunked. Only very small portion of the attachment
> will be loaded in to the memory at any given time. In order to achieve
> this I did some axiom level changes and transport level changes.Because
> the way of constructing what to send when it is chunked and not chunked
> is far different I propose we send MTOM only with chunking. So when
> sending MTOM Axis2/C will automatically switch on chunking. Remember in
> the receiving side it will accept both chunked and dechunked data. WDYT?

Sounds good!!!

Samisa...

> Thanks,
> -Manjula.