Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2003/08/17 21:56:37 UTC

[lang] CRLF handling in the release

The binary build now adds proper crlf handling for Windows zip for .txt
files [ie LICENSE and RELEASE-NOTES].

How much of the source distribution should be crlf'd? I'm thinking that'll
have to be all of it. .java, .txt, .xml, .html, .properties. Any reason
not to do this?

Hen

Re: [lang] CRLF handling in the release

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
I can't think of any, but I'm no build expert.

Stephen

Posted by Anton Tagunov <at...@mail.cnt.ru>.
Hello Henri!

It's a bit late comment, don't know if you've done
it already or not (harvesting long overdue piles of mail)

HY> The binary build now adds proper crlf handling for Windows zip for .txt
HY> files [ie LICENSE and RELEASE-NOTES].

HY> How much of the source distribution should be crlf'd? I'm thinking that'll
HY> have to be all of it. .java, .txt, .xml, .html, .properties. Any reason
HY> not to do this?

Hmm.. I beleive that

1)

a good thing about pure Java code is that the release
is not really different for Windows and *nix.

I have always just grabbed the kind of release I liked more
(was more convinient to unpack, smaller, etc.) and pooled it
to whichever platform I needed. And it worked.

It just does not make sense to introduce platform dependence
when there by nature is none: with pure java code. Why have
two _different_ releases when we can have one?

2)

it looks a bit slippery path to me to differ the platform the
build is for by the method of archiving it. Why not to use
.tgz or .zip only as a method of packing? Why does the archiver
used mark the OS the distribution is targeted to?

I do have zip and unzip on my Linux. I do have tar, gzip and
bzip2 on windows box. I can use any I like.

3)

So, is it really possible to use binarily equivalent releases
for both *nix and Windows? Does it bring any drawbacks?
0x0D looks quite portable to me. I would say that there are
more editors will that will display 0x0D-ed text correctly then
those that will dispay 0x0D 0x0A-ed text. In fact the only
editor I know that has issues with 0x0D is Notepad.

Gentelmen, did I succed in presenting _some_ argumentation
for keeping all 0x0D?  Just my idle thoughts :-)

Anton

Re: [lang] CRLF handling in the release

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.