Posted to dev@commonsrdf.apache.org by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/10 22:44:50 UTC

Re: [BOOTSTRAP] CommonsRDF Poodling

On 10 March 2015 at 19:58, Reto Gmür <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Peter
>>

>> The core is defined using interfaces as they are only designed to be
>> enhancements to the existing infrastructure in each case to provide
>> interoperability. Hence, we cannot rely on classes that the
>> implementations would then need to extend from.
>

> Why not? Having to extend a class is a restriction but so is having it
> implement an interface, especially one that mandated identity criteria and
> thus the value returned by hashcode().

Hi Reto,

It is a completely different restriction in Java terms.

If we use interfaces, any class can be wrapped with our code, and if
we use a class based system, the whole design of the system has to be
built around it.

We are aiming to support as many different implementations as
possible, hence interfaces are the most suited to our case.

Cheers,

Peter