Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/25 20:56:02 UTC

Uploading: And a Wish List for Struts v1.3 and v2.0 Jericho

This is a topic I continually return to, so I thought I would make a
one time statement of my rough thoughts on these matters to both lists
and save space in the long run.

I deal with applications.  An upload application is a good starting
point, because what I would like to be able to do with Struts is
exemplified well by such an application.

I like the Struts setup, but my requirements are not built to Struts
but independent of Struts.  For an upload application, the following
is not only what I require but what I have done and do with Struts,
albeit without being able to use the ActionForm, because the default
upload architecture makes that more difficult than not.

An interface Upload to the UploadAction in Struts which will provide
the following "abilities", "services", etc.

1.  Methods to dynamically add and remove monitors to the parsing
process with the variables as hooks to the Upload implementations.
Methods to access the state of these monitors.  This has involved
wrapping and overriding the parsing process in DiskFileUpload and
FileItem in the commons fileupload package.

2.  Methods with helper class parameters accessing the monitors, e.g.
provide feedback on uploads, email upload state, etc.

3.  Methods to set, to reset and to get stores in various types, e.g.
directory, zip, memory, database, etc. storage, including coarse
grained aspects such as getting connections to different databases,
etc.

4.  Methods to set and to get various file overwriting strategies.

5.  Methods to dynamically set the parser.

6.  Methods to control dynamically what extension types are uploaded
either by "blacklist" or "whitelist" or otherwise relating to users,
to applications, etc.

7.  Methods to dynamical control the number and size of file uploads
relating to users, to applications, etc.

8.  Methods to dynamical set and get upload histories.

So, essentially I want the Struts architecture to be able to
accommodate facade classes relating to the model.

To be able to work with the Struts architecture, the process of
"massaging" the request provided to the Action and the process of
adding data to the ActionForm I need an architecture to accommodate
the various ways I might implement the Upload class and like classes
for other applications.  This means that ActionForm cannot, for
example, restrict us to some FormFile class in RequestUtils, etc.
This also means that the RequestProcessor process has to allow us to
substitute in request wrappers, parsers, and handlers.  The general
idea should be clear.  When choices are made, the interfaces should
allow for options.

Hope this is helpful.  If not, please understand it was meant to be helpful.

Jack

~Dakota Jack~

Re: Uploading: And a Wish List for Struts v1.3 and v2.0 Jericho

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
If you check the discussions I have had with Niall on this on this
list, that might be helpful.  He understands clearly what I am talking
about and where the extension points in 1.3 need to be tweeked in
relation to this real problem.  This submission was to be a helpful
addition to that discussion, and instead has degenerated into this
irrelevant whatever stuff.

Jack

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
Ted,

I am not sure that you read what I said, Ted.  What you say seems
almost like you read another post.  The actual code I was talking
about has been written a long time ago.  I was talking about
discussing the possibility of an interface with Struts ActionForm.
This is the only point of the discussion, really, and seem to be
completely missed.  The wish list was for Struts to accommodate this
code, which exists and is in use.  I can only use all this
functionality by not using ActionForm.  So, I have been discussing
with the people who are essentially doing the upload stuff how I might
make this useful.  The answer is that I should do what I am trying to
do and should do what I already have done.  That is not helpful.

Jack

<SNIP>
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:42:38 -0500, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:56:02 -0800, Dakota Jack wrote:
> > Hope this is helpful.  If not, please understand it was meant to be
> > helpful.
>
> Wish lists like this are mildly interesting, but what's helpful is when people give back to the community by creating new extensions.
</SNIP>

No sure what you mean by "new extensions" here.  If you mean the
upload application, it cannot extend Struts because Struts has welded
ActionForm to an inconsident class.  That was what I was trying to
talk about.  The topic now has been changed and probably never will go
back to what was intended.  This is typical of my efforts.  I try to
discuss these things.  Someone does not read what I said and responds
to something fairly irrelevant.  That is the end of it.

<SNIP>

> A Struts Upload extension would probably be interesting to a lot of people. But someone who uses one must be the one to create it.
</SNIP>

As I said in my posts, I have done that already.  In spades.

<SNIP>
Just like when Steve created ssl-ext, and Hubert created FormDef, and
Frank created WS,  and Don created Scripting, and once upon a time,
when David created Validator and Cedric created Tiles.

</SNIP>

Just like when I created this upload application, and could not get
anyone to discuss the possibility of getting an interface to use
ActionForm with it?  ///;-)

<SNIP>
> All of us are writing applications. The difference is that a few kind souls package their stuff to share with others.
>
> -Ted.
</SNIP>

No sure what the point is here.  Really, I am not.  I try to get to a
point where I can offer something and get these backhanded slaps for
reasons that are not at all clear.  I would be better off in you
rmind, I guess, in not offering a thing?

Are you saying I should have written the application to fit ActionForm
even though that did not meet requirements?

Here is what you are not hearing, I think.  I am trying to say that
there is a way to plugin multipart and ActionForm to allow others to
make submissions to Struts.  I suggested what is required.  That has
resulted in this fairly strange response, which leads me to think you
really did not read what I said, or I really am bad at saying what I
mean, or you read what I said with such a jaundiced eye that you read
what I did not say, or ?????? who knows?  One thing is for sure: this
is an odd response to someone trying to figure out how to help.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Craig McClanahan wrote:
> Talk to the Google folks, since I use Gmail :-).

They seem to be getting into fights with a lot of people these days.
Doesn't seem that "do no evil" and "we're publicly traded now" mix very
well for very long :)

> I hope you're not missing my main point ... the process by which
> collaboration occurs is irrelevant if only words and not code is
> shared.  That's why wish lists (in any form) are pretty useless unless
> they are backed up with action.

I didn't miss that point at all, and I couldn't agree more :)

But conversely, I hope your not missing my main point... Virtually
everyone you talk to has their own wish list for Struts, but for various
reasons they never do anything about them (well, aside from state them
on the mailing lists of course).  I think one of the reasons is not
knowing if their ideas will be met with any interest, or if they might
spend three weeks working on something only to have someone else "beat
them to the punch".  No one likes to feel like they have wasted effort,
and I think a central communication hub might help alleviate this problem.

> Mailing lists have served the Struts developers just fine in the
> almost five years that Struts has been in existence.  That doesn't
> mean other technologies might not have been helpful, or worked better.
>  It just means that Struts is what it is because people acted by
> creating something, rather than only talking about creating something
> (or, only talking about something they wish someone *else* would
> create for them :-).

Your main point again :)  Still valid a pargraph later!

About the mailing lists though... I agree they have worked, and continue
to, but why not explore some other alternatives that might raise
effiency, espcially in light of an expanded community?  I think they
have worked in the past because the number of possible contributors
hasn't been as great as it is now (not to mention the number of users,
which has clearly grown over the years).  I don't know that my idea
would be any better of course, but I thought it was worth proposing at
least :)

> Craig
>
> PS:  The more formal way to request an enhancement, of course, is to
> use the issue tracking system:  http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla

That's true, but like the Wiki I would make the argumnet that it really
isn't what its designed for.  I mean, the name itself, BUGzilla, says
that its an issue tracking system.  I know that everyone in the world
seems to use it for enhancement requests too, but is it truly appropriate?

Even putting that question aside, I am curious (and this is a legitimate
question that you may be able to answer)... do people view those
submissions as direct requests of the Struts development team?  I know
anyone can contribute patches, but how do people really view the target
of the requests they make there?

The point being that if most people think of it as requests to the
Struts team, then its not serving the same purpose as what I propose,
which is more coordination of the potential development community
OUTSIDE the core Struts development team.  The question remains though:
what do you believe the perception is?  That makes all the difference,
as perception usually does :)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Re: Uploading: And a Wish List for Struts v1.3 and v2.0 Jericho

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Craig McClanahan wrote:
 > What you describe is pretty much what the Wiki is for
 > (http://wiki.apache.org/struts).

I'm not sure I agree with that... I would certainly agree that the Wiki
COULD be used for this purpose, but I know for me at least, when I think
of the Wiki I think of a place I can go to find an answer to a question.
  I view it as something of a FAQ that anyone can contribute to (which I
suppose is almost the actual definition of Wiki!).  But if I found
myself wondering whether an item on my own wish list was an idea shared
by others and might be actually in development by someone, I wouldn't
think of the Wiki as the place to go for an answer.

Maybe its just a matter of me not looking at it properly though :)

One could argue that the mailing list(s) serve this purpose, but I think
its too easy to miss things on the list.

Also, part of what I was proposing, potentially a very valuable part, is
the somewhat proactive nature of it (i.e., "tickling" for status).
There's more that could be done in this vein as well, but that's a
start.  I think this goes to your very valid point about people doing
more and saying less (my paraphrasing).  I'm guilty of this myself to a
degree, but I do have contributions to various projects out there, so
not as much as some others at least :)

But, my reason for posting the idea was to see what people thought, and
if everyone agrees that the Wiki does the job, then that's good enough
for me :)  This isn't the type of thing I can just go off and do and use
it myself even if no one else buys into it... Since buy in by others is
integral to what it would be, I don't want to spend time working on it
if I don't have that buy in first, so by all means if everyone agrees
with you Craig, thats just as valuable a conclusion to me as the
other... perhaps not as fun, but I can live with that :)

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
The wiki list is for trying to convince the struts developers to take
Struts 1.3 chain to a place that alternative upload applications can
be submitted?  I think this is an irrelevant response to a substantial
question.

Jacki

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
I wish I had never said "wish list".  I was talking about a KIND OF
INTERFACE needed in Struts and the example application is just to show
what KIND OF INTERFACE might be helpful.  DId no one get that?  I try
to save space by not spelling out what seems to be obvious and I get
these answers from left field.

What this upload application needs to utilize ActionForm is something
other applications that are not multipart request oriented also need.
Can we abstract a little here?

This is not a wish list for the upload.  I SAID THAT THE UPLOAD WAS
BUILT, RUNNING, ETC.  The wish list is that Struts could ACCOMMODATE
this sort of structure in applications generally.  Sheezsch, I must be
horrible at communicating and you guys must be horrible at reading.
How can the upload application be the wish list when it is built and
in production?

Sorry, Frank!  You ususally read everything very closely and I usually
have this same frustration with others.

Jack

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.