Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Van Der Veken Jan <Ja...@realsoftware.be> on 2003/09/01 14:04:50 UTC

Tomcat hangs after some time

Hello all,

Since a month or two we are experiencing the following problem with our
Tomcat  setup:

On average every 2 or 3 days (sometimes it's longer, sometimes it's
twice a day) Tomcat seems to hang. Clients can't connect to our
application anymore through port 8080. It's also impossible to load the
Tomcat homepage itself (eg. http://localhost:8080).

We are running tomcat as a service through jk_ntservice. As soon as we
stop and start the tomcat service, the application works again.

I tried scheduling a daily restart of the service every night at 10pm,
but this doesn't seem to have any influence.

The strange thing is that Tomcat has been running stable for many months
before we started seeing these problems. The only thing that has changed
over time is that the application is used more intensively, by more and
more users and that the backend database (running on SQL Server 2000)
has grown a lot.

We are running on the following platform:
Windows NT 4.0 SP6a
Tomcat 3.3.1a (The problem originally occurred on 3.2.4, we upgraded to
3.3.1a hoping to solve the problem)
Sun Java SDK 1.3.1_08

Jan Van der Veken

Re: Tomcat hangs after some time

Posted by "Eric J. Pinnell" <er...@iCky.org>.
> We are running on the following platform:
> Windows NT 4.0 SP6a
> Tomcat 3.3.1a (The problem originally occurred on 3.2.4, we upgraded to
> 3.3.1a hoping to solve the problem)
> Sun Java SDK 1.3.1_08

Hi,

I have heard of Tomcat hanging in some situations up to 4.1.24.  However
looking at the above list you are running very old stuff.  You might want
to upgrade to a new JDK and to Tomcat 4.1.27.  I'm pretty sure people are
going to tell you to upgrade those before you do anything else.  (since
they are old...  it would be one thing if you are on 4.1.24 but 3.x is
very old)

-e