Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/07 15:12:54 UTC

BPEL IP rights and patent

Hi all,

We've finally got an answer about the intellectual property issues
surrounding the WS-BPEL specification. And it's pretty good news! Cliff
Schmidt has posted it on legal-discuss. As everybody probably isn't
subscribed to this mailing list, I'm pasting his reply here:

- None of the published licenses on the OASIS BPEL IPR page would be
acceptable to the ASF.  Some of the licenses have several issues; but
one example is that they do not allow us to sublicense the rights to
our users, nor do they allow our downstream users to become licensees
without contacting the patent owner and signing a contract.  There
are other issues, but that's the easiest to describe right now.
- However, it does not appear that any of the statements claim any
*issued* patents that we would need to license.  IBM lists three
patent applications (each in various intl jurisdictions); they have
not updated the statement to say anything is issued and after doing a
quick check of the various patent application databases, I don't
believe any of them have.
-  If any of these companies (or anyone else in the world) was to
inform the ASF that they now had an issued patent that they would
license only under such terms as posted on the OASIS site, we would
(if we believe the patent to be valid, infringed, and enforceable)
have to either a) invent around the patent, b) shut down the project,
or c) convince the company to offer us more acceptable terms.
- Until that time, I see no reason why ODE should not be able to
continue its usual development.  However, prior to a release, I would
suggest that the project send an email to each company that claims to
have an essential patent pending (e.g. not BEA) and simply inform
them that we are unaware of any issued patent in this space and are
therefore continuing to make and distribute implementations of the
specs.   I've already sent an email to Microsoft about these specs,
asking them if they will include the spec under the OSP (http://
www.microsoft.com/interop/osp/default.mspx), which is acceptable to
the ASF.

Brief Historical Note:
This looks similar to the WS-Security situation we had a year ago or
so.  No entity was claiming to have issued patents, although some
claimed to have published and unpublished applications.  The licenses
offered for these potential patents were not acceptable to the ASF;
but at that time, there was nothing to license.  IIRC, we (Dims as WS
PMC chair; Sam Ruby from the board; and me, as legal guy) decided
(with advice from counsel) that we would not stop WS-Security from
releasing, but that this indeed might have to be the case one day if
someone came to us with an issued patent and a license that looked
like what was published at the time.  Since that time, Microsoft (one
of the spec authors making an IPR statement on WS-Security) has
introduced the OSP (based, in large part, on our input), which now
covers (WS-Security).  However, I don't believe we have seen any
revised licenses or notifications of issued patents from anyone else.

Cliff

Re: BPEL IP rights and patent

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes! Maybe we can start planning again for a release, what do you think?

Re: BPEL IP rights and patent

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
So we are good to go!

Re: BPEL IP rights and patent