Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Steve Resnick <st...@ducksfeet.com> on 1997/11/12 01:31:21 UTC

mod_log-any/1398: Re: Logging to a pipe causes server to stop serving documents

>Number:         1398
>Category:       mod_log-any
>Synopsis:       Logging to a pipe causes server to stop serving documents
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
When logging to a pipe apache stops sending reasonable data (Netscape gripes
document contains no data and IE responds with The server sent back a
response which could not be understood.)

>How-To-Repeat:
Start a server with 80 virtual hosts logging to a program which
simply reads each line from stdin and writes to stdout.
>Fix:

>Audit-Trail:
State-Changed-From-To: open-analyzed
State-Changed-By: marc
State-Changed-When: Tue Nov 11 12:45:20 PST 1997
State-Changed-Why:
Does anything show up in the error log?

Are you just running one copy of the program, or one for
each virtual host?  Do you have seperate logfiles for
each virtual host?  ie. is it possible you are running
into file descriptor limitations?
>Unformatted:
Marc,

There is one transferlog statement which is outside any virtual host
definition; There should only be one invocation of the program.

There is nothing in the error log.

This is the same problem I posted to Usenet last week and mailed to you
twice.

I never did receive any e-mail on this and had to go back to the Apache
site to get the report below.

I don't suspect problems with my e-mail (I receive tons of it daily)
however, if you have tried to respond to me, and that did not work,
steve@iptopia.net, steve@netlynx.com, and steve@iptopia.com also work.

As a web hosting provider I need the ability to make log file data available
to my customers. I need to do this in a secure fashion. If this cannot be
done, then I need a different server solution.

Cheers,
Steve

Full text of PR number 1396:

Date: 11 Nov 1997 20:35:35 -0000