Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/04 04:16:12 UTC

SVN migration

Just wondering if the JMeter community have any thoughts on a
migration to Subversion?

I'm aiming to get Jakarta migrated over to Subversion this quarter and
this email is intended to nudge the start of the JMeter migration. The process
seems pretty easy, though I'm not finished on my first one (jakarta-regexp):

http://www.apache.org/dev/cvs2svn.html

The Jakarta status is in the wiki at:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/Migrating_20to_20Subversion

Alternatively, I'm looking to hear the problems with the idea of a
migration to SVN so I can get the Infrastructure guys to deal with
them.

Thanks,

Hen

Re: [VOTE]Re: SVN migration

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
like wise I'm -1 for the change, since it's a lot of work to switch
over. I still haven't had time to try out the subversion plugin for
eclipse. given a choice between being productive and developing or
spending lots of time re-organizing, I prefer to code.

I'm not set in stone or anything, just my own personal preference. I
understand it's a lot of work to maintain the infrastructure, so it's
up to everyone to reach a compromise.

peter

Re: [VOTE]Re: SVN migration

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE]Re: SVN migration

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

[VOTE]Re: SVN migration

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
My own vote on it was going to be -1, for basically the same reason
everyone else voted +0.  There is just no reason for us to want to move
to subversion.

But, since we're apparently not being given a choice, I suggest we move
to subversion after finalizing the 2.0 branch.  Since branching and
tagging is different/problematic (using the eclipse plugin anyway), I'd
prefer to do a last merge from 2.0 => HEAD using CVS + eclipse, and then
we can move to subversion and figure out how to release 2.1.

I vote +1 on this.

-Mike

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Tyler Black <tb...@h2st.com>.
On 2-Aug-05, at 2:39 PM, Peter Lin wrote:
> thanks.  which subversion client or eclipse plugin are people using on
> linux and windows?
>

> peter lin

Windows users in our office use Tortoise SVN client.
Mac users use svnX

Regards,

Tyler Black
Enterprise Systems Developer

How2Share Technologies Inc.

www.h2st.com / www.pixpo.com

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
The only pain I ever had building the client from source was
remembering to make sure SSL was installed before-hand.

Building the server was a different story, I found it very painful.

I'll try to find the configuration line I was using to build from
source. It was pretty simple.

Hen

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Subclipse 0.9.31 - just updated to 0.9.32.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 8/3/05, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/08/05, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 2 aren't a problem, two do seem to be a problem. Looking at the files
> > involved in the missing tags, I suspect it's not a huge problem, but
> > it's disquieting to have failings. I'll join the SVN mailing list
> > tomorrow and send it through as a bug report.
>
> Thanks!

Went with a simpler approach. I tried the genius idea of looking at
the error output from the cvs2svn command, and we get:

Looking at the cvs2svn output, it gives the error:

WARNING: in 'jakarta-jmeter/README,v':
   branch '1.1.1' already has name 'JavaApache',
   cannot also have name 'arelease', ignoring the latter
WARNING: in 'jakarta-jmeter/README,v':
   branch '1.1.1' already has name 'JavaApache',
   cannot also have name 'jmeter1_0b1', ignoring the latter

I'm asking on infra@apache (enough svn people lurk there) to see if
they can explain what the warnings mean.

I suspect it'll either be that SVN can't support the CVS feature or
that CVS had created slightly screwed up ,v files (seen it happen on
the ASF CVS modules).

Hen

Re: SVN migration

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 03/08/05, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/2/05, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 02/08/05, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Done:
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > > http://svn.apache.org/repos/test/jakarta/jmeter/
> > >
> > > svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/test/jakarta/jmeter/trunk jmeter
> >
> > Works OK, and files compare OK with CVS HEAD.
> >
> > > How does that look?
> > >

> > Comparing the lists of tags in CVS and SVN shows that SVN has an extra
> > tag "initial" - is this is normal?
>
> Initial is on:
>
> test/src/org/apache/jorphan/math/TestStatCalculator.java,v:

OK, I see.

I did not pick up all the possible CVS tags ...

> > Comparing the branches shows several differences:
> >
> > arelease - in CVS but not SVN
>
> From a CVS import, but no idea why the migration didn't pick it up.
> There are half a dozen files that should have been in this.
>
> > jmeter1_0b1 - ditto
>
> Seems to be exactly the same files/versions as arelease. Again I've
> not had this problem before.
>
> ./src/Attic/Makefile.bat,v:     jmeter1_0b1:1.1.1;
> ./src/Attic/Makefile,v: jmeter1_0b1:1.1.1;
> ./bin/Attic/jmeter.sh,v:        jmeter1_0b1:1.1.1;
> Binary file ./bin/Attic/Apache-JMeter.jar,v matches
> ./bin/jmeter.bat,v:     jmeter1_0b1:1.1.1;
> ./Attic/index.html,v:   jmeter1_0b1:1.1.1;
> ./README,v:     jmeter1_0b1:1.1.1;
>

> > jakarta - in SVN but not CVS
>
> TestStatCalculator again. I think Mike did a cvs import on this file
> with jakarta as the vendor name and initial as the release.

OK, as above.

Re: SVN migration

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: SVN migration