Posted to dev@carbondata.apache.org by Jacky Li <ja...@qq.com> on 2018/11/06 08:29:24 UTC

[Discuss] Removing search mode

Hi,

Search mode was introduced as an alpha feature in spark integration during CarbonData 1.4.0, its goal was to increase the concurrent query performance. However, after several experiments, it only show very little improvement. The main reason is that SparkSQL is designed based on DAG/MR compute model, thus it is not good at low latency high concurrent queries. A possibly better approach is to provide such query using presto-carbon integration. So, I propose to make this alpha feature obsolete and remove from master code base to reduce the complexity of the overall project.

Regards,
Jacky

Re: [Discuss] Removing search mode

Posted by Jacky Li <ja...@qq.com>.
Currenlty, presto-carbon is missing the direct vector fill implementation which is implemented for spark in latest master branch.
I think we can plan this feature in next version.

Since presto’s architecture is similar to MPP, so it will execute in a pipeline manner, which it is good for interactive query.

Regards,
Jacky

Posted by xubo245 <60...@qq.com>.
+1,

There are some random error in CI recently. and the performance only has a
little improvement between search mode and non search mode, including filter
query.

Re: [Discuss] Removing search mode

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi

+1, but one suggestion,  in the future we can first try these alpha features
in the separate branch . once it is confirmed, then merge into master.

Regards
Liang

akashrn5 wrote

Posted by akashrn5 <ak...@gmail.com>.