Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by jl...@br.ibm.com on 2005/10/21 15:41:00 UTC

Get involved on Harmony

Hi Geir,

        My name is João,  i work on AMS here on IBM Brasil and i have very
much interest in work (developing) on your incubation project Harmony. I
don´t know how i could do that, because i'm not a current ASF commiter - i
don't have the commiter/member status.

        Please tell me what you think, and how  i could get involved (if i
could).

        Best regards,

                João

Re: Get involved on Harmony

Posted by Mark Wielaard <ma...@klomp.org>.
Hi João,

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 11:41 -0200, jlopes@br.ibm.com wrote:
> My name is João,  i work on AMS here on IBM Brasil and i have very
> much interest in work (developing) on your incubation project Harmony. I
> don´t know how i could do that, because i'm not a current ASF commiter - i
> don't have the commiter/member status.
>
> Please tell me what you think, and how  i could get involved (if i
> could).

Welcome. Harmony is a collaboration of lots of projects that want to see
a Free Software alternative to the proprietary j2se. That means that
there is lots to do. Here is a list of things/projects you can work on:

- Core Class Libraries
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.classpath.devel/5522
  http://developer.classpath.org/mediation/ClasspathFirstSteps
- Compilers
  http://gcc.gnu.org/java/
  http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCJX
- Runtimes:
  http://www.kaffe.org/ http://www.ikvm.net/ http://jamvm.sf.net/
  http://jcvm.sf.net/ and lots more listed at:
  http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/stories.html
  Dan is even writing a new one from scratch now.
- javadoc replacement:
  gjdoc http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/cp-tools/
- browser plug-in:
  gcjwebplugin and gcjappletviewer http://www.nongnu.org/gcjwebplugin/
- Test suite:
  http://www.sourceware.org/mauve/

And there are obvious other projects that I forgot that are interesting
to work on to make harmony a reality. Please let us know what your
interest is and we will find the project that you might like to hack on!

Cheers,

Mark