Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> on 2022/11/01 21:54:10 UTC

Re: Some tests are never executed in CI due to their name

Aha wait a minute I got it :D Yeah. This is not what you invented, it is
> already in, sorry.
>
> So, you are saying we should just modify this to cover @Test / abstract.
>
> I dont know ... interesting.
>
> Lets wait for others to answer.

This thread is rather painful to digest because of the top-posting :'(

I agree that all non-abstract classes that contain a @test annotation must
have a filename ending in "Test.java"

That leaves CI scripts untouched.

How we enforce that I have no opinion about. If it's not easy in
checkstyle, just do it with some bash in the cassandra-test.sh script.
It'll get caught pre-commit either way, and once the rename of existing
files is done the precedence is clearly in place.

Re: Some tests are never executed in CI due to their name

Posted by Andrés de la Peña <ad...@apache.org>.
+1 to waiver

Posted by Berenguer Blasi <be...@gmail.com>.
+1 to waiver

Posted by Josh McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.
+1 to waiver.

Posted by Ekaterina Dimitrova <e....@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
+1 to waiving these.

Posted by "Miklosovic, Stefan" <St...@netapp.com>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Miklosovic, Stefan" <St...@netapp.com>.
Hi list,

in CASSANDRA-18029, two flaky tests were committed by mistake due to my misunderstanding. We agreed on this thread that we should not commit flaky tests right before rc. So now the rc is technically blocked by them. To unblock it, what is needed is to have a waiver on them. If there is not a waiver, I need to go back to that test and remove the two test methods which are flaky. (In practice they will be probably just @Ignore-ed with comment about flakiness so we can fix them later).

Flaky tests are

org.apache.cassandra.distributed.test.PaxosRepair2Test.paxosRepairHistoryIsntUpdatedInForcedRepair
org.apache.cassandra.distributed.test.PaxosRepair2Test.legacyPurgeRepairLoop

I sincerely apologize for messing things up and being drifted away by the ticket and forgetting about the ML thread which has the ultimate precedence in this matter. This should have been ideally requested before the commit and it was just an oversight about keeping both ticket and ML communication in sync.

Regards

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Miklosovic, Stefan" <St...@netapp.com>.
I want to ask if people are comfortable with merging CASSANDRA-17964 before 4.1 is out. We clean a lot of things and rename tests which we should take care of. (like  PaxosRepairTest2).

We might still fix it without merging 17964 as we know what should be fixed and we can wait until 4.1 is out but I personally do not see any reason for this.

Thoughts?

Posted by Berenguer Blasi <be...@gmail.com>.