Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com> on 2003/01/14 22:40:16 UTC

Rivet Extensions

Ok,

    So, looking forward to an impending release of Rivet, I have this
burning question to ask the (albeit currently small) community.  What
Tcl extensions should be included in a Rivet distribution?

    Of course, Rivet will be distributed in source code by itself, but
I'm really looking to put together a "batteries included" release with
all the things your average web newbie might need.  So, what extensions
should Rivet consider for inclusion?

    Inevitably, when Rivet can compile and run like a champ on Windows,
all of this will include a full, binary Windows release in a nice,
easy-to-use installer.  So, your average newbie can run a Rivet server
on their Windows box within minutes.  That's the dream anyway. 0-]

Thanks,

Damon

Re: Rivet Extensions

Posted by Damon Courtney <da...@your.unreality.com>.
> Would this hypothetical person already have Tcl?
>
> http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/more_information.plex
>
> Activestate includes a lot of stuff.  Maybe replicating their work
> isn't in our best interests?

    Truth be told, I would probably recommend someone install ActiveTcl
and then use it for Rivet.  That's how I did it. 0-]  ActiveTcl has
everything I think most people need.  I was just looking for the
opinions of everyone here. 0-]

    But, if I were to tell someone to install Rivet, it would go:

    "First, download and install ActiveTcl.  Then, make Rivet..."

> >     Inevitably, when Rivet can compile and run like a champ on
> > Windows, all of this will include a full, binary Windows release in
> > a nice, easy-to-use installer.  So, your average newbie can run a
> > Rivet server on their Windows box within minutes.  That's the dream
> > anyway. 0-]
>
> Sounds like a great idea.  The first step down that road is to get
> Holger's patches integrated and tested on windows...

    Definitely.  I want to put up some Windows binaries for download! 0-]

Damon

Re: Rivet Extensions

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.

--