Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@tumbleweed.com> on 2002/11/09 00:16:25 UTC

RE: installing jakarta code Was: using commons components and log ging

I think a *big* help to users would be simply stating the dependencies for
each component on the corresponding download page, in a README.html file.
That will show up right below the links for downloading. Simple, and the
user is bound to see it.

If you're not familiar with this, take a look here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-struts/release/v1.1-b2/

The text below the file list comes from a README.html file in the same
directory.

--
Martin Cooper

> > Especially as I expect to have an INSTALL.txt or README.txt
> > [or html] which tells me what I need. We tend to put it on
> > the website, which a lot of people probably don't bother to check.
> >
> > So, maybe Maven could be generating out an INSTALL.txt as
> > part of its build or some such. Or maybe the current download
> > method of using the default Apache directory is wrong, we
> > need a lot of index.html's throughout the build/ directory.
>
> Could get real messy.
>

> > Or we have an xml file in the releases directory called
> > requires.xml which an Apache module reads, shows a custom
> > Apache directory-page to remind people where to go to get the
> > requirements.
> >
> > I like that idea, it's not java, but neither is Jakarta's
> > site. What do you think? [Maven can still generate this xml
> > file out as part of the build]
> >

> I think this would be a reasonable short-term solution. I'd really
> Like to see things move toward a neutral (i.e.,
> project-comprehension-tool-agnostic)
> xml description of dependencies that could be used by Maven
> or whatever
> Figure out what else needs to be gotten and go get it.
>
> > Hen

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>