Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Michael Südkamp <mi...@docware.de> on 2006/10/26 13:50:03 UTC

status of tiles support

Hello,

I wonder what is the status of the tiles support?

The myfaces-examples are still at version 1.1.1 and the included tiles
web-app will not run with the the 1.1.3 libs (and probably also not with
1.1.4) (java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.myfaces.application.jsp.JspTilesViewHandlerImpl).

The wiki topic at http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Tiles_and_JSF is also not
up to date.

Can anyone help me how to set it up?

Michael

Re: AW: status of tiles support

Posted by Jeff Bischoff <jb...@klkurz.com>.
Michael Südkamp wrote:
 > Yes, thank you I expected it still at the release builds.

Some of that stuff was missing from releases during the summer builds,
because the team was still switching over to use maven. They have
resumed with the full complement of release artifacts with the Core
1.1.4 release, and I expect the next Tomahawk release to be fully
decked-out as well.

If you want to find out for sure, you can watch this document [1] and
the documents that it links to (e.g. [2]). Hmm looks like including the
examples in the Tomahawk release is in their "TODO" list for the 1.1.4
release. :)

"Figure out whether/how to release the Tomahawk example apps, add it to
the script"

Maybe they will discuss it on the dev list at some point.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/current/STATUS.txt
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/TomahawkRelease114

Regards,

Jeff Bischoff
Kenneth L Kurz & Associates, Inc.

AW: status of tiles support

Posted by Michael Südkamp <mi...@docware.de>.

Re: status of tiles support

Posted by Jeff Bischoff <jb...@klkurz.com>.

Re: status of tiles support

Posted by Martin Kuhn <ma...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

we use Tiles with MyFaces 1.1.4 and a Tomahawk  1.1.5 snapshot without
problems.

Here some notes of my point of view (as I already stated in the ajax4jsf
mailing list because of Tiles problems)

The reason why we selected Tiles was, that when we started with JSF, there
was no templating framework available (for our first app we used Sitemesh
but it was not really compatible with JSF and so we changed to Tiles  after
a while). And at this time the facelets framework was not available (at
least for production usage)

In the templating context I need nothing more than Tiles provides.
When we started with the MyFaces-Tiles solution I had not the feeling that
it is an "exotic" solution.

Of course, I noticed that a hype about facelets arose and I tried it out.
But in my opinion the benefits of facelets is not worth to change from Tiles
to facelets except if such a change would be unproblematic.

On the contrary, I'm afraid that a change to facelets would brings us many
problems when we have to port existing applications to facelets (I read
several posts on the myfaces list but I've no real experience with larger
applications about this).

Regards,
Martin

Re: status of tiles support

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
it is this clazz

org.apache.myfaces.tomahawk.application.jsp.JspTilesViewHandlerImpl

To be honest, you should try Facelets instead of Tiles for templating a JSF app

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf
http://tinyurl.com/fmywh