Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Zoltán Tóth-Czifra <zo...@softonic.com> on 2012/05/15 15:11:07 UTC

Date format - any easier way

Hi guys,

Thanks you very much in advance for your help.

My problem in short is getting the date for yesterday in a YYYYMMDD format. As I use this format for partitions, I need this format in quite some queries.

So far I have this:

concat(
year( date_sub( to_date( from_unixtime( unix_timestamp() ) ), 1 ) ),
CASE
WHEN month( date_sub( to_date( from_unixtime( unix_timestamp() ) ), 1 ) ) < 10
THEN concat( '0', month( date_sub( to_date( from_unixtime( unix_timestamp() ) ), 1 ) ) )
ELSE trim( month( date_sub( to_date( from_unixtime( unix_timestamp() ) ), 1 ) ) )
END,
CASE
WHEN day( date_sub( to_date( from_unixtime( unix_timestamp() ) ), 1 ) ) < 10
THEN concat( '0', day( date_sub( to_date( from_unixtime( unix_timestamp() ) ), 1 ) ) )
ELSE trim(day( date_sub( to_date( from_unixtime( unix_timestamp() ) ), 1 ) ) )
END
);

...but it seems to be a bit crazy, especially if you have to repeat it in hundreds of queries. Is there any other (better) way to get this format from yesterday? - there has to be. As I can't use local user variables nor macros whatsoever, I need to repeat myself a lot here. If there is no other way, probably I need to change my partitions.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you!

Zoltan

Re: Date format - any easier way

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
may be something like this will work

can you try using concat(split(date_sub(),"-")))

split returns the array and then you can concat them as you want

if this does not work for you, writing a simple UDF is easy as well

Thanks,
nitin

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Date format - any easier way

Posted by Philip Tromans <ph...@gmail.com>.
I knocked up the following when we were experimenting with Hive. I've been
meaning to go and tidy it up for a while, but using it with a separator of
"" (empty string) should have the desired effect. (Obviously the UDF throws
an exception if the array is empty, been meaning to fix that for a while...)

Cheers,

Phil.

import java.util.List;

import org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.Description;
import org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.UDFArgumentException;
import org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException;
import org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.udf.generic.GenericUDF;
import org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.objectinspector.ListObjectInspector;
import org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.objectinspector.ObjectInspector;
import
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.objectinspector.ObjectInspector.Category;
import
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.objectinspector.PrimitiveObjectInspector;
import
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.objectinspector.primitive.PrimitiveObjectInspectorFactory;

@Description(name = "implode", value = "_FUNC_(list,separator) - joins the
elements of list together, separated by the given string."
+ " Returns a string. [Add an example here]")
public class GenericUDFImplode extends GenericUDF {
private ListObjectInspector listOI = null;
private PrimitiveObjectInspector glueOI = null;

@Override
public Object evaluate(DeferredObject[] params) throws HiveException {
return join(listOI.getList(params[0].get()),
glueOI.getPrimitiveJavaObject(params[1].get()).toString());
}

private String join(List<?> list, String separator) {
if (list == null) {
return null;
}
if (list.size() == 0) {
return "";
}

StringBuffer buf = new StringBuffer();

for (Object o : list) {
buf.append(o);
buf.append(separator);
}

return buf.substring(0, buf.length() - separator.length());
}

@Override
public String getDisplayString(String[] args) {
return "implode(" + args[0] + "," + args[1] + ")";
}

@Override
public ObjectInspector initialize(ObjectInspector[] params)
throws UDFArgumentException {
if (params[0].getCategory() != Category.LIST) {
throw new UDFArgumentException("Expected: List as argument 1 to implode()");
}
if (params[1].getCategory() != Category.PRIMITIVE) {
throw new UDFArgumentException("Expected: Primitive as argument 2 to
implode()");
}

listOI = (ListObjectInspector) params[0];
glueOI = (PrimitiveObjectInspector) params[1];

return PrimitiveObjectInspectorFactory.javaStringObjectInspector;
}

}

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.

--