Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Andre F de Miranda <af...@fucs.org> on 2016/08/23 11:53:10 UTC

How to deprecate a processor?

Fellow developers,

I have been thinking about extending GeoEnrichIP to support MaxMind's other
attributes such as:

ISP Name
Organization Name
Autonomous System Number
Autonomous System Organization

Although not strictly necessary, I considered renaming GeoEnrichIP into
EnrichIP (or whatever other name may be more suitable).

As far as I understand, renaming the processor would cause issues with
existing dataflows, therefore, processor should be deprecated graciously.

If this is correct, may I ask you what is the proper way of deprecating a
processor?

The last time I saw that happening was on NIFI-400 so I was wondering if
anything has changed?

Cheers

PS-I realise renaming the processor may be overkill but given NIFI-391
still open I thought it was worth the question

Re: How to deprecate a processor?

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Andre,

I'd recommend simply making a new one that is either a complementary
scope 'NetworkEnrichIP' or one of a greater scope 'EnrichIP'.  If the
EnrichIP route is taken then you can simply mark the other as
deprecated and let users migrate on their own.  We do need to progress
NIFI-391 at some point so that we prompt users to make the recommended
shift.  But at this point you can still make good progress either way.

Thanks
Joe