Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/04 22:20:41 UTC

[ALL] symbolic links for "current" releases

Symbolic links should not be used in mirrored directories [1].

We still use them in some components; I propose to delete them all
later this week.

The disadvantages are:
- often don't get updated promptly; an extra task for the RM that is
often forgotten
- hide the true version when the archive is downloaded
- cause additional load on mirrors (links are copied as actual files, if at all)
- don't make any sense on archives.apache.org if a project is no longer active.

If anyone thinks they need current pointers, then redirects can be used instead.
These don't appear in directory listings, but if anyone has the
current link bookmarked anywhere, the redirect will take care of it.

Redirects still suffer from the disadvantage that they have to be
maintained, and so can get out of step, but otherwise AFAIK they work
well.

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/mirror-step-by-step.html#symbolic_links

Re: [ALL] symbolic links for "current" releases

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 4 October 2011 21:20, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Symbolic links should not be used in mirrored directories [1].
>
> We still use them in some components; I propose to delete them all
> later this week.

Done.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
The easier it is to make a release, the better :) I'm all for it.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory