Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by David Arthur <mu...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/08 04:03:21 UTC

[VOTE] 2.5.0 RC3

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the forth candidate for release of Apache Kafka 2.5.0.

* TLS 1.3 support (1.2 is now the default)
* Co-groups for Kafka Streams
* Incremental rebalance for Kafka Consumer
* New metrics for better operational insight
* Upgrade Zookeeper to 3.5.7
* Deprecate support for Scala 2.11

Release notes for the 2.5.0 release:
https://home.apache.org/~davidarthur/kafka-2.5.0-rc3/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Friday April 10th 5pm PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~davidarthur/kafka-2.5.0-rc3/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~davidarthur/kafka-2.5.0-rc3/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 2.5 branch) is the 2.5.0 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/2.5.0-rc3

* Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/25/documentation.html

* Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/25/protocol.html

Successful Jenkins builds to follow

Thanks!
David

Re: [kafka-clients] [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC3

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Hi, David,

Thanks for running the release. Verified quickstart on the scala 2.12
binary. +1 from me.

Jun

Re: [RESULTS] [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC3

Posted by David Arthur <mu...@gmail.com>.
Gary, indeed the release is official now. There are many moving parts to
the release which happen sequentially. Artifacts are generally available
between a few hours to a day before the announcement goes out.

Thanks,
David

--
David Arthur

Re: [RESULTS] [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC3

Posted by Gary Russell <gr...@pivotal.io>.

Re: [RESULTS] [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC3

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for doing a fantastic job with this release, David.

Re: [RESULTS] [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC3

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.

[RESULTS] [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC3

Posted by David Arthur <mu...@gmail.com>.

--
David Arthur

[RESULTS] [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC3

Posted by David Arthur <mu...@gmail.com>.

--
David Arthur

Re: [kafka-clients] [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC3

Posted by Jonathan Santilli <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

--
Santilli Jonathan

Re: [kafka-clients] [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC3

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <mj...@apache.org>.
Thanks for running the release Arthur!

- verified signatures
- build from sources
- run tests locally (some flaky tests failed, but eventually all tests
passed)
- run quickstart (core/connect/streams) using Scala 2.13 binaries

+1 (binding)

-Matthias

Posted by Jonathan Santilli <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

--
Santilli Jonathan

Re: [kafka-clients] [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC3

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Re: [kafka-clients] Re: [VOTE] 2.5.0 RC3

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Used the following environment in my validation of the release artifacts:
Ubuntu 18.04, OpenJDK 11, Scala 2.13.1, Gradle 5.6.2

Verified GPG Signatures for all release artifacts
Verified md5 sha1 sha512 checksums for each artifact
Checked Scala and Java Docs
Ran Unit and Integration Tests successfully

One comment I have is that the following release artifacts initially in the
release process were not reachable directly for validation like the other
release artifacts.

* Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/25/documentation.html

* Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/25/protocol.html

If we can improve that in future releases that would be great.

Thanks for running the release, David.

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com>.