Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jordi Rubio Moreno <jr...@grupointercom.com> on 2007/05/10 18:28:36 UTC

[S2] Using complex objects in JSP

Hi,

I'm newbie in Struts, and I have begin with Struts 2. I have an
ActionSupport object that contains a complex object TResultSet (this
object communicates with a remote server and this server sends a lot of
information that is stored into the TResultSet client).

class TResultSet
{
    private HashMap data;

    public boolean hasNext();
    public String getField(String key);
}

class A extends ActionSupport
{
    public String execute()
    {
        TResultSet res = new TResultSet();

        return ActionSupport.SUCCESS;
    }
}

If I was programming with JSP and servlets, I would codify something
like:

        <% TResultSet res = request.getAttribute("resultSet"); %>

            <th>
            </th>
            <% do { %>
            <% while (res.hasNext()); %>

How can I do this with Struts 2 without using JSP scripting? I was
thinking on build an array on Strings into the ActionSupport with the
TResultSet data, put it into a member variable of A, and then use
something like iterator tags, but I need to know if Struts is able to
work with complex objects and its funtions.

Thanks a lot in advance for you time!!

Cheers!

RE: [S2] Using complex objects in JSP

Posted by Jordi Rubio Moreno <jr...@grupointercom.com>.
Hi Don,

Thanks a lot! I'm reading all about OGNL to work with POJOs, and it's
interesting.

Thank you again for helping me :)

Cheers!

All you need to do is expose your TResultSet object via a getter on your
Action, then access it like any other object using JSP-EL in your jsp.
You can even use the JSTL for-each tag to handle iteration.  For
example, if you exposed this object using getResultSet(), in your jsp
you could access it via ${resultSet}

Don

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.