Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by roySolr <ro...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/08 15:37:33 UTC

SolrCloud: port out of range:-1

Hello,

I have some problems with Solrcloud and Zookeeper. I have 2 servers and i
want to have a solr instance on both servers. Both solr instances runs an
embedded zookeeper.

When i try to start the first one i get the error:  "port out of range:-1".

The command i run to start solr with embedded zookeeper:

java -Djetty.port=4110 -DzkRun=10.100.10.101:5110
-DzkHost=10.100.10.101:5110,10.100.10.102:5120 -Dbootstrap_conf=true
-DnumShards=1 -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -jar start.jar

It runs Solr on port 4110, the embedded zk on 5110.

The -DzkHost gives the urls of the localhost zk(5110) and the url of the
other server(zk port). When i try to start this it give the error: "port out
of range:-1".

What's wrong?

Thanks
Roy

Re: SolrCloud: port out of range:-1

Posted by roySolr <ro...@gmail.com>.
On the end i want 3 servers, this was only a test. I now that a majority of
servers is needed to provide service.

I read some tutorials about zookeeper and looked at the wiki. I installed
zookeeper seperate on the server and connect them with eachother(zoo.cfg).
In the log i see the zookeeper know eachother. When i start SOLR, i used the
-Dzkhost parameter to declare the zookeepers of the servers:

-Dzkhost=ip:2181,ip:2181,ip:2181

It works great:)

ps. With embedded zookeepers i can't get it working. With a second server in
the zkhost it returns a error. Strange, but for me the seperate zookeepers
is a great solution, seperate logs and easy to use on other zookeeper
servers(in the future i want to seperate in 3 solr instances and 5 zookeeper
instances).

THANKS

Re: SolrCloud: port out of range:-1

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
A two server Zookeeper ensemble is actually less reliable than a one server ensemble.

With two servers, Zookeeper stops working if either of them fail, so there is a higher probability that it will go down.

The minimum number for increased reliability is three servers.

wunder

--
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org