Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Frans Thamura <fl...@meruvian.com> on 2006/10/13 00:54:37 UTC

JCR Apps and Exchangable

Hi All,

I just comparing several of JCR tech and use it in my company for case study

1. Liferay -> www.meruvian.com
2. Alfresco --> www.meruvian.com/mspace
3. Magnolia --> www.intercitra.com

I just finding a way, which one is the "real" JCR, because in my opinion
any JCR apps can move the data from one JCR to another JCR, or merging
all the JCR apps to share the same JCR repo.

my problem
1. I just try to save my Magnolia data, and make another CMS that can
read Magnolia data, because I find that Magnolia dont have feature to
show the content in sort by date which for me it is a basic feature for
CMS, and to make a module on top of Magnolia, I still cannot get the guide.

2. alfresco, I want to implement several digital library based on
Alfresco, but I see that to develop a module i need to learn to develop
aspect, need to learn more, but in the spirit of JCR, I want to develop
a simple JCR apps using Jackrabbit, and try to move. I find difficulty,
because my Jackrabbit View is still cannot work in alfresco 's  JCR

my question is, how to make test that my apps can be moveable from one
JCR ot another JCR apps, it is possible

i got that Jackrabbit have XML feature, to import and export, but anyone
have try another apps?

it is possible?

Re: JCR Apps and Exchangable

Posted by Frans Thamura <fl...@meruvian.com>.
Nicolas Modrzyk wrote:
> you can always access the data in the JCR for sure, and in most cases
> only reading the data would cause no problem.
> It is a matter of how you display the data onto your new (his)
> application.
>
> Unless the application is written to access flexible data format, (has
> been written in this way) that would not work. Same is true when
> working with different SQL databases.
>
> Try migrating the data from one wiki server to another one... they
> could even use the same SQL server but I don't think it would be easy.
> Thousands of consultants are making money just by migrating systems
> from one data format to another (new?) one.

yah right, that will be wonderfull if wiki syntax is standarized, and
JCR as the engine, so we can move from confulence to jspwiki, is it
possible?

because i just want to develop a system based on dublincore, which the
database can move (done using dbunit), but i want to move also the repo,
i choose JCR.

so, if we know the schema of my sistem, db + jcr content, i think the
system can be moveable,

i think this is the spirit of JCR

Frans

Re: JCR Apps and Exchangable

Posted by Nicolas Modrzyk <ni...@macnica.com>.
you can always access the data in the JCR for sure, and in most cases
only reading the data would cause no problem.
It is a matter of how you display the data onto your new (his)
application.

Unless the application is written to access flexible data format,
(has been written in this way) that would not work. Same is true when
working with different SQL databases.

Try migrating the data from one wiki server to another one... they
could even use the same SQL server but I don't think it would be easy.
Thousands of consultants are making money just by migrating systems
from one data format to another (new?) one.

Regards,

Niko

Re: JCR Apps and Exchangable

Posted by Frans Thamura <fl...@meruvian.com>.

Re: JCR Apps and Exchangable

Posted by Nicolas Modrzyk <ni...@macnica.com>.
Hi Frans,

Your question is a bit like asking how to I move my application from
postgresql to mysql given that both postgres and mysql are using SQL
as a language to access the data.
You even have tools to import/export data in both of them.

As a short answer, you can't. Most of the cms have custom nodes that
can be read but surely cannot be shown or handled properly by other CMS.

> 1. I just try to save my Magnolia data, and make another CMS that
> can read Magnolia data, because I find that Magnolia dont have
> feature to show the content in sort by date which for me it is a
> basic feature for CMS, and to make a module on top of Magnolia, I
> still cannot get the guide.

I am crossposting to the user of magnolia. To create a module for it,
you basically copy and paste an other module and start creating your
own. The guys are busy with a industrial production-ready 3.0
version, so the documentation is still a bit behind.

I don't understand your problem on sorting by dates, this is just a
simple query on the jcr, and any of the CMS can do that (magnolia
included).

Hope I have, to some extend, answered your question. Do not hesitate
to ask more on the project's user list.

Regards,

Nicolas,