Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Epsilon <ep...@yahoo.com> on 2004/05/02 17:01:39 UTC

Re: Vendor branch help

Garrett Rooney wrote:

> You merge the difference between the previous vender import and the
new
> one into the copy of the vendor code in trunk.  I believe this is
> described in the book.

I could very well be wrong on this but I don't think this is discussed
in any great detail.  Quoting from Chapter 7 in the book:

<quote>
To perform this upgrade, we checkout a copy of our vendor branch, and
replace the current version with the new libcomplex 1.1 source code.
After committing this change, our current branch now contains the new
vendor drop. We tag the new version, and then merge the differences
between the tag of the previous version and the new current version
into
our main development branch.

$ cd working-copies/calc
$ svn merge http://svn.example.com/repos/vendor/libcomplex/1.0      \
             http://svn.example.com/repos/vendor/libcomplex/current  \
             libcomplex
� # resolve all the conflicts between their changes and our changes
$ svn commit -m 'merging libcomplex-1.1 into the main branch'
</quote>

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the above paragraph doesn't match
the example commands that follows.  In other words, the example
commands
do not explicitly show how to "...replace the current version with the
new libcomplex 1.1 source code. After committing this change, our
current branch now contains the new vendor drop."  It only shows how to

"merge the differences between the tag of the previous version and the
new current version into our main development branch."

I apologize in advance for my thick-headedness on this topic.  This is
my first attempt at working with vendor branches and merging all
together.  I very much appreciate all the help.