Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Mark Martin <be...@hotmail.com> on 2002/01/14 23:45:04 UTC

Problems with 1.6.0 using gcc under Solaris 8

We seem to be having some difficulty using a gcc compiled (gcc 2.95.3)
version of Xerces-C 1.6.0 under Solaris.  The problem seems related to wild
writes occuring on static or other stack data on Sun boxen running Solaris
8.  Specifically, a private libc struct (used by _smalloc, malloc, and
friends), "List[1]" is overwritten after a period of time with the constant
0x43535400.  "C]^"  And since "List[]" is the head of the used/free core
memory tree, that's a pretty fatal thing to have happen :)  Our code is
using Gcc 2.95.3, and I had to use that to compile Xerces, of course, to be
able to link.

At this point, I'm fairly confident that the wild write is occuring in
Xerces, particular in XMLString data storage, as we've isolated most of our
code down to calls to both the parser and XMLFormatter interfaces.  Has else
anybody seen SEGFAULT's with _smalloc?  How well tested is Xerces in
multiprocessor scenarios (I'm assuming yes!)?

It's hard to reproduce easily right now, otherwise I'd have a code sample or
pinpoint of the problem.  Thought I'd throw out the general question first.
We're also using the ACE framework for what that's worth, version 5.2.

Thanks,
Mark Martin