Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de> on 2015/05/07 22:20:33 UTC

Remove the protocol buffer dependency: (non-)goal?

Hi,

we currently use two different serialization systems: Apache Avro and
Google's protocol buffers. Of the two, Avro to me is the more pleasant
one to use:

  * It is real OSS and breaking releases don't just drop from nowhere.
  * The .NET support is way better than in protobuf.
  * It has a maven plugin, which means developers only need Java and
    Maven instead of also installing protoc

Those reasons motivated us to use more and more Avro even before joining
the ASF. This has been a rather informal move, not a concerted plan.
Which now makes me wonder: Should we elevate dropping protobuf to a(n
umbrella) JIRA? What do others think?

Markus

Re: Remove the protocol buffer dependency: (non-)goal?

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
Given the lack of vocal opposition, I went ahead and filled

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/REEF-317

for it.

Markus

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.