Posted to dev@ace.apache.org by Premek Brada <br...@kiv.zcu.cz> on 2011/02/11 16:13:53 UTC

Re: proposal: a versioning repository

On 11.2.2011 15:33, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering if anything came of this. dev@aries.a.o we're
> discussing the need for this kind of thing.

Hi,

we have a prototype implementation working and will be posting a
proposal to the ace-dev shortly (next week).  So stay tuned please :)

Premek

--
Premek Brada (Ing et MSc, PhD)
   Lecturer in Software enginering, Webmaster

Posted by Premek Brada <br...@kiv.zcu.cz>.
Hello all,

the promised versioning OBR proposal is a wrapper over ApacheFelix's
BundleFileStore implementation + a separate servlet which provides a
REST API.  The first part is a VersionedBundleStore interface which
(currently) extends the o.a.ace.obr.storage.BundleStore (maybe it should
actually be a separate interface alongside, or better instead-of, the
plain BundleStore), see attached source which has the necessary javadoc.

The REST API looks as follows, working mostly with bundle data streams
and some HTTP headers.

GET /obr/bundle-symbolic-name/version
=> get(symbolic-name, version)
GET /obr/bundle-symbolic-name
=> getLatest(symbolic-name), plus X-BundleVersion header set
GET /obr/bundle-symbolic-name?version-range
=> getLatest(symbolic-name, VersionRange), plus X-BundleVersion header set
PUT, POST /obr
=> put(), returns the resulting bundle metadata in X-BundleFileName,
X-BundleVersion headers
DELETE /obr/symbolic-name/version
=> remove()
OPTIONS /obr
=> listBundles(), returns the list of bundle symbolic names delimited by
newline in response body
OPTIONS /obr/bundle-symbolic-name
=> listVersions(), returns the list of bundle versions delimited by
newline in response body

We opted for a bundle-aware, bundle-only interface instead of for just
putting the versioning functionality underneath the OBR BundleStore --
we think this makes sense because the other resources which can be
stored in OBR don't lend themselves easily to OSGi versioning policy &
automated versioning; secondly, we think bundles as core elements
deserve this special treatment, and last, it makes the versioning bundle
repo much easier to work with.

Underneath the versioned file bundle store there is a bundle versioning
service based on our type-based bundle compatibility comparator, see the
second attached interface.  The complete implementation we have is split
into several bundles, runs on Felix (I can provide it if anyone wants,
currently it is in an internal subversion repo).

I am pretty curious what you think, so any feedback is welcome.

Premek