Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/31 09:41:22 UTC

tomcat support

Hi,

for the 4.0.0 should we break the tomcat 5.5 and tomcat 6.0 support?

JEE 6 needs tomcat 7 so i think we can strip a lot of ugly code.

IMHO Tomcat 6 is still used but if somebody wants to write a jee 6
application he will easily go to tomcat 7.

A user recently saw we are using a tomcat 7 specific API in the
tomcatWebappBuilder. This one can be replaced by a Tomcat6/Tomcat 7 one but
with some efforts (constructor args). I'm not sure it is useful to twist our
code like it.

What's your opinions?

- Romain

Re: tomcat support

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jon and al.,

regarding older tomcat version, that's more or less the same here (I mean in
our company).
That said, I'm not sure that people using older versions will want to use
Java EE 6 - Web Profile 1.0
We can still support Tomcat 6 for 3.1.x branch but get ride of it in 4.x
branch.

We started pruning unnecessary parts of OpenEJB, and IMHO supporting older
versions is more or less the same.
Finally, Tomcat 7 brings a couple of breaking features/issues, ... that have
required some important changes in event management, ...

I would be in favor of keeping the new trunk as simple as possible. If users
really need it, we can revert in the future and may be try to hack if
necessary.

Jean-Louis

Re: tomcat support

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.