Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Davendra Kumar <da...@hotmail.com> on 2003/02/02 16:08:21 UTC

i need help!!!!

There are few questions i would like to ask?
the first question is

I would like to ask the questions below for confirmation....

Other mail servers will send their emails to james(not only james but other
mail servers) by finding it's hostname?

if true can i name a hostname like davemail shown below? even in a
standalone pc?

<pop3server enabled="true">
      <!-- port 995 is the well-known/IANA registered port for POP3S  ie
over SSL/TLS -->
      <!-- port 100 is the well-known/IANA registered port for Standard POP3
-->
      <port>110</port>

      <!-- Uncomment this if you want to bind to a specific inetaddress -->
      <!--
      <bind> </bind>
      -->
      <!--  Uncomment this if you want to use TLS (SSL) on this port -->
      <!--
      <useTLS>true</useTLS>
      -->

      <handler>
         <!-- This is the name used by the server to identify itself in the
POP3 -->
         <!-- protocol.  If autodetect is TRUE, the server will discover its
-->
         <!-- own host name and use that in the protocol.  If discovery
fails, -->
         <!-- the value of 'localhost' is used.  If autodetect is FALSE,
James -->
         <!-- will use the specified value. -->
         <helloName autodetect="false">davemail.com</helloName>
         <connectiontimeout>120000</connectiontimeout>
      </handler>
   </pop3server>

Is it true inorder to send email and receive email from the real world like
yahoo or hotmail i must have a fixed IP?

The next question is i want to send email to test whether pop3 is configured
properly  so i add a user in remote

administration tool and the user name is mike. Now i want his mails to be
stored in mysql database .I know to use database

i must uncomment the tags done that. But it's not creating a the db mail in
mysql why?

How to make the user mike have an alias @davemail.com?

Re: i need help!!!!

Posted by bill parducci <bi...@parducci.net>.
> Other mail servers will send their emails to james(not only james but
> other mail servers) by finding it's hostname?

yes. there is a type of DNS record called an MX record. this tells other
mail servers which hosts accept mail for a particular domain. not to get
into too much detail, but these records have numeric values that allow
you to prioritize which servers are to be attempted first.

> if true can i name a hostname like davemail shown below? even in a
> standalone pc?

james will let you call your server whatever you want (if i am not
mistaken, the configuration parameter you are talking about below only
refers to the name james uses during a conversation), however this has
nothing to do with DNS as it pertains to the topic at hand.

>         <helloName autodetect="false">davemail.com</helloName>
>         <connectiontimeout>120000</connectiontimeout>
 >
> Is it true inorder to send email and receive email from the real world
> like yahoo or hotmail i must have a fixed IP?

for all practical terms, yes. anti-spam issues aside, it is very
difficult to maintain any kind of usable mails system on a dynamic
address because of the requirement that there be an MX record for the
server (not to mention that your POP3 client would get very confused :o)

RE: How does SMTP transfer work (was: i need help!!!!)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Aaron,

> >Considering that you are doing this for a college course, I suggest that
you
> >read the IETF RFC documents governing e-mail.
> Jeeze Noel.  That's a bit harsh.

I just get the uncomfortable feeling that he's asking us to do his homework
for him, that's all.

	--- Noel

Re: How does SMTP transfer work (was: i need help!!!!)

Posted by Aaron Knauf <ak...@xtra.co.nz>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Considering that you are doing this for a college course, I suggest that you
>read the IETF RFC documents governing e-mail.

Jeeze Noel.  That's a bit harsh.  I'm glad you weren't my lecturer at
school.  I managed to get through my entire education without reading a
single rfc (and scored highly)!  Of course, coping in the real world
meant reading quite a number of them.

:-)

ADK

RE: How does SMTP transfer work (was: i need help!!!!)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Considering that you are doing this for a college course, I suggest that you
read the IETF RFC documents governing e-mail.

> Other mail servers will send their emails to james(not only james but
other
> mail servers) by finding it's hostname?

RFC 2821 describes the process by which mail host resolution is performed.
The simple version is that a domain's MX record is requested from the DNS.

> if true can i name a hostname like [davemail.com] shown below? even in a
> standalone pc?

You can call yourself whatever you want, but other servers may flag you as
questionable if they decide to perform a reverse DNS lookup.

> Is it true in order to send email and receive email from the real world
like
> yahoo or hotmail i must have a fixed IP?

False.  However, if you are sending e-mail from a dynamic IP, your e-mail
will likely be flagged as spam.  In either case, you want to establish a
domain name and an MX record.  See www.dyndns.org for one such free service
for dynamic IP users.

> I know to use database i must uncomment the tags done that.
> But it's not creating a the db mail in mysql why?

And how is anyone supposed to answer that question without seeing what
you've done?  James will create the tables.  Did you remember to create the
database?

> How to make the user mike have an alias @davemail.com?

Does davemail.com exist?  What do you mean by "alias"?

I recommend that you consider descriptive subjects.  Subjects like "I need
help!!!" are actually less likely to be read.

	--- Noel

ref:
http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:Rx-raoTa3JUC:www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/s
mart-questions.html