Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com> on 2020/05/28 20:29:14 UTC

Jira components for cross-language transforms

Hi All,

I think it's good if we can have new Jira components to easily track
various issues related to cross-language transforms.

What do you think about adding the following Jira components ?

sdks-python-xlang
sdks-java-xlang
sdks-go-xlang

Jira component sdks-foo-xlang is for tracking issues related to
cross-language transforms for SDK Foo. For example,
* Issues related cross-language transforms wrappers written in SDK Foo
* Issues related to transforms implemented in SDK Foo that are offered as
cross-language transforms to other SDKs
* Issues related to cross-language transform expansion service implemented
for SDK Foo

Thanks,
Cham

Re: Jira components for cross-language transforms

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.
+1 to a new component. I would not split things by language.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 12:34 PM Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 8:53 PM Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> -0, sorry I'm late. But I guess you are not sorry since everyone else
>> agrees :-)
>>
>> I just don't know what this accomplishes. Most components correspond to a
>> software component/codebase. The only components that do not correspond to
>> a codebase are things that are sort of independent, like "test-failures"
>> and "gcp-quota".
>>
>> This seems like a label does all the same things, since you can tag with
>> multiple components. AFAIK the only difference between a component and a
>> label is that Jira requires >= component (actually I bet we control this).
>> Does it make analytics dashboards more useful?
>>
>> A hypothetical test is: when will I tag with this component? That is
>> actually not so clear. If I am a Python user in the future, and xlang is
>> done very well, then I may not even know that I am using a Java-based
>> component. So what I want to find is either "io-python-kafka" (for the
>> wrapper) or "io-kafka" (if the wrapper is so good I don't even know). I
>> think the future of portable Beam is probably to go with "io-kafka".
>>

>> The reason I am -0 is that it is harmless to have extra components and
>> use them when a label would suffice.
>>

> I get your point and in the distant future where cross-language transforms
> framework works seamlessly for all major SDK/runner combinations we might
> come to a state where we do not need this Jira component. But we are not
> there yet :).  Given that various folks are working on and/or interested in
> picking up tasks related to cross-language transforms and given that many
> users may potentially start using cross-language transforms in the near
> future I think the Jira component will make things easier to manage. Also
> please note that we at least have one component per language,
> expansion-service, as a cross-language specific component.
>
> Labels might achieve the same thing but seems like it's harder to maintain
> a consistent label across folks working on various runners/SDKs.

Very good point. I'm +1 now. I said the main difference is that Jira
requires >=1 component, but I was wrong. I missed two other important
differences: components cannot be dynamically created, and the autocomplete
list is just for Beam, so they are kept more consistent. TBH it makes me
want to use them for everything to avoid all of ASF Jira leaking into the
project. Concretely, I wonder if we should use components for "flakes" and
"starter-bugs" so that these are kept more consistent, too. Right now we
have a flexible search to find all tasks labeled "starter", "newbie",
"easyfix", etc.

Kenn

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Luke Cwik <lc...@google.com>.

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Kyle Weaver <kc...@google.com>.

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>.
Thanks for the comments.

Posted by Alexey Romanenko <ar...@gmail.com>.
+1 to new non split component.

Posted by Heejong Lee <he...@google.com>.

Posted by Robert Burke <ro...@frantil.com>.

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>.

Posted by Kyle Weaver <kc...@google.com>.

Posted by Rui Wang <ru...@google.com>.

wrote:

> What are some of the benefits / drawbacks of using cross-language
> transforms? Would a native Python transform perform better than a
> cross-language transform written in Java that is then used in a Python
> pipeline?
>
> Ashwin Ramaswami
> Student
> *Find me on my:* LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/ashwin-r> | Website
> <https://epicfaace.github.io/> | GitHub <https://github.com/epicfaace>
>

> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 4:44 PM Kyle Weaver <kc...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> SGTM. Though I'm not sure it's necessary to split by language. It might
>> be easier to use a single cross-language tag, rather than having to tag
>> lots of issues as both sdks-python-xlang and sdks-java-xlang.
>>
>> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 4:29 PM Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@google.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I think it's good if we can have new Jira components to easily track
>>> various issues related to cross-language transforms.
>>>
>>> What do you think about adding the following Jira components ?
>>>
>>> sdks-python-xlang
>>> sdks-java-xlang

Posted by Ashwin Ramaswami <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kyle Weaver <kc...@google.com>.