Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Christine <ma...@christine707.plus.com> on 2014/08/19 15:51:19 UTC

letter writing

I am trying to find how to set a right hand margin - always had mine set now cannot remember how to do this....have asked many but do not understand why I need one as there is a left margin box on screen but this does not work when writing something on left and then tab across to the right, it does not happen with this setting.
Hopefully you can understand this
Thanks
Christine

Re: letter writing

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:29:59 -0400
Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net> wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2014, at 9:51, Christine <ma...@christine707.plus.com> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to find how to set a right hand margin - always had mine set now cannot remember how to do this....have asked many but do not understand why I need one as there is a left margin box on screen but this does not work when writing something on left and then tab across to the right, it does not happen with this setting.
>

> I think that what the OP wants to do is to have on the same line text aligned to the left margin and then be able to have additional text aligned to the right margin.
>
> I would also be interested in how to do this; particularly for setting up headers/footers.

In Header/Footer, enter your (left) text, then hit tab (sometimes two tabs, depending on length of left text) then type right text.

On ordinary text right click on the ruler bar, insert right tab, then pull this to the right margin point. Enter left text, hit tab, then right text.

The two tabs may be necessary in header/footer because there is by default also set a centre tab.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: letter writing

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 12:10 19/08/2014 -0400, Julian Thomas wrote:
>On Aug 19, 2014, at 11:06, Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
>>Use a table with one row and two columns, no borders, width between
>>the left and right margins. Format the two cells for left and right
>>text, and there you are.
>
>In the body of the text, you need to get rid of about 0.4" of
>leading space in the first column.  Haven't found the trick for this yet.

That's 0.04" (or 0.1 cm), I think.

To remove this, go to Table | Table Properties... | Borders | Spacing
to contents (or right-click | Table... | Borders | Spacing to
contents) and set the Left value to zero. (If you leave Synchronise
ticked, all the spacings will become zero, which is possibly what you want.)

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: letter writing

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:10:44 -0400
Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net> wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2014, at 11:06, Tom Backer Johnsen <ba...@psych.uib.no> wrote:
>
> > Use a table with one row and two columns, no borders, width between the left and right margins. Format the two cells for left and right text, and there you are.
>
> thanks.  for a header, you then need to reduce the header size and or spacing.
>
> In the body of the text, you need to get rid of about 0.4" of leading space in the first column.  Haven't found the trick for this yet.

One adjusts interline/inter-paragrapgh space in the Paragraph style definition, Indents and Spacing tab, by changing settings Above Paragraph, Below Paragraph, and Leading.

Check out the help file for Indents and Spacing.

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: letter writing

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.

Re: letter writing

Posted by Tom Backer Johnsen <ba...@psych.uib.no>.
Use a table with one row and two columns, no borders, width between the left and right margins. Format the two cells for left and right text, and there you are.

Tom

.
On 19. Aug 2014, at 16:29 , Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net> wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2014, at 9:51, Christine <ma...@christine707.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to find how to set a right hand margin - always had mine set now cannot remember how to do this....have asked many but do not understand why I need one as there is a left margin box on screen but this does not work when writing something on left and then tab across to the right, it does not happen with this setting.
>

> I think that what the OP wants to do is to have on the same line text aligned to the left margin and then be able to have additional text aligned to the right margin.
>
> I would also be interested in how to do this; particularly for setting up headers/footers.
>
> -- -- --
> jt   http://jt-mj.net
>
> To whom the gods destroy, they first teach Windows...

Tom Backer Johnsen
Søndre Steinkjellersmauet 7
5003 Bergen
Mobil: +47 9169 3346
Email: backer(at)psych.uib.no

Re: letter writing

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.

Re: letter writing

Posted by Don Daugherty <dd...@sunflower.com>.
On 8/19/2014 8:51 AM, Christine wrote:
> I am trying to find how to set a right hand margin - always had mine set now cannot remember how to do this....have asked many but do not understand why I need one as there is a left margin box on screen but this does not work when writing something on left and then tab across to the right, it does not happen with this setting.
> Hopefully you can understand this
> Thanks
> Christine
Click Format >Page >click Page Tab and you can set each of t he
margins.  Take note of the name of the Page Style at the top of the
window so you can select that style by name in the future.

---