Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Marcio E Miranda <Ma...@fastsearch.com> on 2006/03/24 15:38:07 UTC

Is Shale supposed to work in a portlet environment?

Hi,

First of all, there is one point in Shale that I didn't understand very
well. Why the developer has to register a managed bean for each view?
When I try to access a page without registering a bean with the same
name of the view in faces-config.xml, I get an error from Shale stating
that the expression #{myviewname} could not be evaluated. If I then
register a bean with the same name of the view in faces-config.xml, it
works. There is no such a requirement in a JSF application that doesn't
use Shale.

Now to the portlet issue. I have a portlet application, which uses
Shale, that runs fine in a web container (note that I had to define a
managed bean with the same name of the view for it to work). Then, I've
deployed the same application in a portlet container (Liferay). When I
try to access the portlet, I get an error stating that the expression
#{index} could not be evaluated. I checked the stack trace and realized
that the exception was raised by the Shale controller (seems to me that
this is the same issue described above). What is the workaround? Is
Shale supposed to work in a portlet environment (I'm using the portlet
implementation provided by My Faces)?

- Marcio.