Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Anthony Mutiso <an...@sternestackhouse.com> on 2001/11/22 17:51:48 UTC

developing context objects in Java 1.1.8

Hi Folks,

I am developing a velocity application that is developed in a Java 1.1.8 environment. The user of the application,
(another group), runs the application in a Java2 environment, (of course).

Up until presently this has worked fine, until I developed a method that accepts velocity "[ $arg1, $arg2 ]" arguments.
This results in the method being called with an ArrayList argument and ArrayList is not in Java 1.1.8.

I was wondering what the opposition is to adding a new collection syntax ala "{ $arg1, $arg2}" or "%[ $arg1, $arg2 ]"
that resulted in Vector rather then an ArrayList, making 1.1.8 code work with Velocity even for collections?

The "[ $arg1... ]" notation is the only context issue that is non-portable to Java 1.1.8 code, is it not?

[Please do not ask why I am hung up on building Java 1.1.8 base context code, lets just say I have little choice.]

Thanks

Anthony