Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by maheshwar singh <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2008/03/17 04:45:40 UTC

user with delete rights

Hi,

 I'm using svnserver to backup and version my reports. I need to create 2 users -
1. User A - has rights to only add and update contents to the repository
2. User B - has rights to delete any or all the contents in the repository.

How do i do this?

- Maheshwar

Re: user with delete rights

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
maheshwar singh wrote:
> Todd,
>
>  I'm working on a solution for our BI team.
> The guys create reports that are in use, when they make changes i want to version and store the earlier one.
> If the new report has issues, replace this with the earlier instance.
> So, i want this guys to add to source control, checkin / checkout.
> But i dont want them to deleted the older instance.
>
> The existing workaround requires people to make a copy of the report, zip it and store it for safe-keeping.
>
> i agree, subversion is not made for this activity. I'm trying to look for a solution that is easy to setup and own.

Creating a new version is the _only_ thing that you can do with
subversion clients.  That is, even if you delete things and commit the
change, you create a new revision at the head of the repository with
this change applied.  Any previously committed revisions remain, no
matter what so there is no need to explicitly save them elsewhere.  The
only way to actually remove something from the repository is to use the
svnadmin dump/filter/load operations which require file level access to
the repository.

I'd suggest that you also set up web access through viewvc, though.  It
will provide a nice read-only web browser view and it provides a good
interface for going back through the history. http://www.viewvc.org/ It
is also handy if you want to make a simple http link to the 'latest'
version of any file that you can give out or place on a web page (just
browse to it and copy the URL).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: user with delete rights

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 7:38 AM, maheshwar singh <ma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Todd,
>
>   I'm working on a solution for our BI team.
>  The guys create reports that are in use, when they make changes i want to
> version and store the earlier one.
>  If the new report has issues, replace this with the earlier instance.
>  So, i want this guys to add to source control, checkin / checkout.
>  But i dont want them to deleted the older instance.
>
>  The existing workaround requires people to make a copy of the report, zip
> it and store it for safe-keeping.
>
>  i agree, subversion is not made for this activity. I'm trying to look for a
> solution that is easy to setup and own.

I think you're misunderstanding how Subversion works.

You can ALWAYS retrieve the old version of the report by specifying to
Subversion which revision you want to retrieve. Nothing will be
"deleted" by a future change to the report being committed.

RE: user with delete rights

Posted by maheshwar singh <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Todd,

 I'm working on a solution for our BI team.
The guys create reports that are in use, when they make changes i want to version and store the earlier one.
If the new report has issues, replace this with the earlier instance.
So, i want this guys to add to source control, checkin / checkout.
But i dont want them to deleted the older instance.

The existing workaround requires people to make a copy of the report, zip it and store it for safe-keeping.

i agree, subversion is not made for this activity. I'm trying to look for a solution that is easy to setup and own.

- maheshwar> Subject: RE: Re: user with delete rights> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:14:24 -0700> From: tgleason@impac.com> To: talden@gmail.com; maheshwars@hotmail.com> CC: users@subversion.tigris.org> > And if your repository represents source code, then such a configuration> would prevent User A from doing any significant refactoring of code> (deleting an old file in favor of a newer one, renaming files or> projects, etc.). What that is going to say to User A is that you don't> trust them and don't want them working up to their own capabilities.> > I've seen similar practices in use, and in my experience they lead to> poor quality as people avoid making the changes they know are really> needed and instead hack things together in the "old" files.> > -----Original Message-----> From: Talden [mailto:talden@gmail.com] > Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 3:07 AM> To: maheshwar singh> Cc: users@subversion.tigris.org> Subject: Re: user with delete rights> > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:45 PM, maheshwar singh> <ma...@hotmail.com> wrote:> > I'm using svnserver to backup and version my reports. I need to> create 2> > users -> > 1. User A - has rights to only add and update contents to the> repository> > 2. User B - has rights to delete any or all the contents in the> repository.> >> > How do i do this?> > I don't believe that there's a way, other than using pre-commit hooks,> to provide this action-oriented control - users are either excluded,> read-only, or read-write.> > That said, taking away delete in a versioned system isn't useful> anyway - though they shouldn't delete they could produce a similar> effect by checking in an empty file in place of the original. The> action to reverse this is much the same as recovering a deleted file> so I wouldn't be too concerned. If you really do want to try and> block the commit of remove (including rename then) then a pre-commit> hook is needed - it wouldn't surprise me if something is available in> the contributor content for Subversion.> > --> Talden> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@subversion.tigris.org> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@subversion.tigris.org>
Tried the new MSN Messenger? It’s cool! Download now.
http://messenger.msn.com/Download/Default.aspx?mkt=en-in

RE: Re: user with delete rights

Re: user with delete rights

Posted by Talden <ta...@gmail.com>.