Posted to user@struts.apache.org by st...@gmail.com on 2007/05/09 20:51:26 UTC

I am trying to figure out why this code works

  <s:submit *action="Login_cancel"*   key="button.cancel"/>

but this code does not

  <s:submit *action="Login_cancel"*   key="%{operation}"/>

Any ideas?--

Scott
stanlick@gmail.com

Re:

Posted by st...@gmail.com.
Thanks Dave.  I really wanted to avoid mixing custom tag libraries if I
could avoid it.  I'll think about it tonight after I mow the yard.
Sometimes the smell of cut grass enhances my thinking.

On 5/9/07, Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- stanlick@gmail.com wrote:
> > Can you think of a way to coerce an evaluated string
>
> > into this property?
>
> You could try using JSP EL; that might work. My JSP
> isn't very strong and I can't test it at the moment,
> but it's worth a shot.
>
> > I have a full-blown S2 app running with Hibernate 3,
>
> > Spring, the works and less than 100 lines of code in
>
> > total!  That includes HTML!
>
> You should definitely consider putting it up on the
> wiki and/or releasing the supporting libraries; I
> expect there would be considerable interest.
>
> d.

Scott
stanlick@gmail.com

Re:

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- stanlick@gmail.com wrote:
> Can you think of a way to coerce an evaluated string

> into this property?

You could try using JSP EL; that might work. My JSP
isn't very strong and I can't test it at the moment,
but it's worth a shot.

> I have a full-blown S2 app running with Hibernate 3,

> Spring, the works and less than 100 lines of code in

> total!  That includes HTML!

You should definitely consider putting it up on the
wiki and/or releasing the supporting libraries; I
expect there would be considerable interest.

d.

Re:

Posted by st...@gmail.com.
Thanks d.  Can you think of a way to coerce an evaluated string into this
property?  I nearly have reduced S2 to "Strails" <Struts on Rails> with the
exception of a couple of issues standing in the way.  Dude, would you be
interested in critiquing my app once I finish it?  I have a full-blown S2
app running with Hibernate 3, Spring, the works and less than 100 lines of
code in total!  That includes HTML!

   1. #session.mappedRequest
   2. #session.tile
   3. #session.symbolicName

I'll tease you with my most verbose section of code:

        <action name="noun_*" method="{1}" class="noun">
            <result name="input"     type="tiles">${#session.tile}</result>
            <result name="list"     type="tiles">${#session.tile}</result>
            <result name="add"
type="tiles">${#session.tile}</result>
            <result name="show"     type="tiles">${#session.tile}</result>
            <result name="edit"
type="tiles">${#session.tile}</result>
            <result name="destroy"
type="tiles">${#session.tile}</result>
        </action>

Re:

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- stanlick@gmail.com wrote:
> I am trying to figure out why this code works
>
>   <s:submit *action="Login_cancel"*
> key="button.cancel"/>
>
> but this code does not
>
>   <s:submit *action="Login_cancel"*
> key="%{operation}"/>
>
> Any ideas?--

The "key" attribute is a simple String so OGNL is not
evaluated. As further evidence of this note the
following (minimalized) fragment from UIBean.java:

public void evaluateParams() {
    if (this.key != null) {
        if(this.label == null) {
            this.label = "%{getText('"+ key +"')}";